Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 12, 2005, 4:03 AM   #1

My old Epson C83 died on me last week. Thinking of getting the Canon ip4200 or the Epson R250. The price difference between the two is minimal. Anyone care to share their opinions or experiences?

Thanx in advance.
ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2005, 4:26 AM   #2

ulric wrote:
Quote:
My old Epson C83 died on me last week. Thinking of getting the Canon ip4200 or the Epson R250. The price difference between the two is minimal. Anyone care to share their opinions or experiences?

Thanx in advance.
I can speak about the epson r200 vs the canon ip4000, but not the ip4200 vs the r250... these i've not seen in action.

My experence was not great on the r200. It was a pretty spiffy photo printer and in many ways I prevered it over my current ip3000 and mp760 (I don't on the ip4000 but the mp760 is close enough). But it wasted much ink, required much windex to unclog the nozzles, and basicly was a high maintance unit. The ip3000 has been totally trouble free for about 6 months... my mp760 did require replacement under warranty and that was done without any hassle what so ever, sent 2 day air no postage required to send the old one back. The r200 required me running to a service center, waiting a week for them to say it's not worth fixing, and getting a replacement... though in their defence I did get a batch of free ink for my trouble. Replacement via fed-ex was not an option according to the people who I spoke to.. and the issue with my printer was it overflowed with ink even though after the warning I re-routed the ink to a waste bin.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 7:51 PM   #3

Any comments on photo print quality?
Old Dec 13, 2005, 3:34 AM   #4

The Epson R250 is still a bit new for anyone to have real experience with it, but mechanically it's the R200 in a different box -- uses the same cartridges etc.

Probably the firmware has been re-written (they claim faster printing) and there'll most likely be changes to the way the chips are recognised (they obviously don't like after-market chipset and ink vendors -- bad for the bottom line...)

So, if you've seen the output from the earlier "R' series printers, that's about what you'll get.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 5:50 AM   #5

Sorry, I meant the photo print quality of the R200 and the ip4200.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 6:59 PM   #6

I think you'd probably be happy with the prints from either of them -- most inkjet makers are getting their act together in that area.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:08 PM   #7

ulric wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, I meant the photo print quality of the R200 and the ip4200.
Ah, I have experence with the r200... While I had major issues with it the photo quality was top notch. Read idle's reccomendation for re-routing the waste ink.... that should help buckets.

I've not seen much from the ip4200, only the ip4000 or rather my mp760 which is close enough. Photoquality is pretty dang good, no so good for white text on a colored background... text quality much better though... all around the better general purpose printer IMHO. Also on the right papers reasonably water fast.

But keep in mind you are dealing with two different techniques. Large drops but with light inks, or smaller drops with the 4 primary inks. Both have their merits and you should take your digital camera down to the store with your favorite paper, or the offical reccomended paper, and see for your self. While I practicly ditched my r200 in favor of the ip3000 and mp760... you might choose the r200. Who knows.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:30 PM   #8

I had my wires crossed on the R250 Epson anyway -- the replacement for the R200/210 is the R230 -- doesn't look all that much different externally, is selling here circa $180 Australian.

The R250 is a 4-colour machine with card reader (for printing with or without PC) like the R300/310, and the 6-colour version in the same shell is the R350 -- both are substantially more expensive than the R230.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 7:56 AM   #9

Idle wrote:
Quote:
I had my wires crossed on the R250 Epson anyway -- the replacement for the R200/210 is the R230 -- doesn't look all that much different externally, is selling here circa $180 Australian.

The R250 is a 4-colour machine with card reader (for printing with or without PC) like the R300/310, and the 6-colour version in the same shell is the R350 -- both are substantially more expensive than the R230.
Isn't the whole numbering system for Epson so unbelievably "useful" and "informative"... NOT!...

Does my noggin in... :evil:
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote