Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 30, 2005, 9:59 AM   #1

I'm looking for a new printer. The major requirement is that it be able to scan the old slides that we have laying around. Beside the slide issue, my photo printing needs are pretty pedestrian, mostly 4x6 family photo stuff. Price range should be between $150 and $300 ($200 is really the sweet spot). I've always had HP for general printing and been happy. I've read that Epson has clogging problems and can't figure out which Canon would fit my needs. Any suggestion and directions would be greatly appreciated.
Balrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:36 AM   #2

To Balrion,

First, printers print and don't scan. But if you desire scanning, you can find
all in one units that print, copy, scan, and sometimes fax also.

While I am not all that familar with the new chipped Canon line, the now recently discontinued non chipped Canon MP 760 sound like it might fill your needs.

The MP 760 uses the Canon ip4000 printer engine, cartridge line, and is paired with a flatbed scanner that is good enough to scan 35 mm slides and negatives. So the unit can printer, copy, and scan. ( Both its stable mates, the MP750 and 780 also flatbed scan but lack a scanner as good and hence can't do as good job of scanning slides )----and anything using the ip4000 printer engine is a ink consumable cost champ and can dramatically cut consumable costs when paired with refilling or readily available non oem cartridges.

At this point in time, finding an MP760 is hard but not impossible--although you will probably have to look on the internet.------many all in one printers exist but in terms of scanning slides few lack scanners that will do a good job of scanning slides. And
most HP and Lexmark units will rip you off on the ink and I doubt any are paired with an adequate scanner for your needs.

Another option is to get a dedicated scanner and seperate printer. But one must have the desktop space for the scanner which makes an all in one attractive.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:38 AM   #3

You are looking for a multifunction unit and not a printer. The best available for your purposes is the Canon MP800 or slightly cheaper MP760, which is selling online for around $240. I think this is about a complete list of multifunction units with film and slide scanning ability: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3181_7-...html?tag=prmo1

The MP800 is probably worth a few extra bucks. It uses the new ChromaLife inks and has a smaller droplet size for photo prints.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 9:49 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. It seems that Canon is the way to go.
Balrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:44 PM   #5

Balrion wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info. It seems that Canon is the way to go.
I went with the mp760 and for the most part i've been pleased with it. I have to admit going from slide to 8x10 is not the best it could be. I can't say *for* sure but the mp800 is listed at having a higher optical resolution... the mp900/950 more so. If I was buying a new one I'd go mp800 at least for this reason. The mp950 is well, almost $500 and offers not only pigment black but the light inks as well. For me, while I believe they offer a benifit... they also use more ink which increases the cost, and canon does a very decent job with just the CMYK.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote