Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo-sharing Site Links

Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:06 AM   #1

I am using fotopic right now and quite happy, but I have many people who would like to buy the racing pictures I have, and it would be nice to have somewhere where I can post the pictures, they can print through the web site host, and I can keep a small percentage of the profits. (Have to save up to pay for more photo equipment, right?)

Please share what you know about various sites offering this service. I have heard that some offer a yearly fee at different levels (semi-pro, pro, etc) and then take a certain percent off the top, but they handle everything.

Thanks in advance for anything you could share.

:-)
WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2005, 1:07 PM   #2

I have a friend that sells quite a few images at:
http://www.deviantart.com
Old Feb 4, 2005, 3:59 PM   #3

I recommend http://smugmug.com. I've been very happy with them. With their pro account ($90 a year, i think), you can set the profit to anything you'd like on a range of prints and products.
designmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 8:25 PM   #4

In my search for a web site, I found this comparison (although biased because it was at one site's site). It might be a good place to start for those of you looking...

http://www.eventpictures.com/pher/ma...g/features.jsp

Then click on competitor comparison...

This compares several different sites and the positives and negatives of all.
:-)

Old Feb 7, 2005, 9:22 PM   #5

http://www.shutterfly.com/business/galleries.jsp
IMO, the best deal, and simplest to use....
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:41 PM   #6

Thanks! I've found PRINTROOM.COM, also, which is very similar to Shutterfly's pricing and storage. SmugmugPRO was wonderful, but unless you are doing high volume sales, you don't get paid until they get more than $500. Love their site...everything was so professional. That $500 minimum was really a hangup, though.

I also found PHOTOSTOCK.COM. They have a $299 set up (WOW) and a monthly fee, which I guess if you hired someone to make your web site and then manage your domain, you'd be out quite a bit, too. Very nice site and professional with lots of extras not found at other sites.

SHUTTERPOINT.COM is out there, too, but just for selling stock images. This is $9 for a six month membership.

Just thought I'd share all I found.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 3:31 PM   #7

Kudos that you are gonna sell your pics!

Also, some other things to keep in mind,WisconsinGirl, regardless of site that you choose.

Can you direct would-be clientsto FREElinks of your low res copies of your photos?

Is site slow or fast when tested on say a cable modem?

Is site easy to navigate?

Another option to rent say 1 G of space from a local ISP and build your site locally on your PC and then upload/update to web.

BIG advantage of this is that you "own" the site.

Also, consider your own unique URL (web address - very cheap to register - you just have to come up with something unique).

In closing, I would certainly direct lots of folks to your site once it is up!

You gots talent, WisconsinGirl! :|
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:40 PM   #8

Important thing to keep in mind: when you have your own website with your own URL, you need to work really hard to promote your site. It's very very complicated stuff and requires a lot of work and some money for things like AdWords by Google,...etc..

On the other hand, using well establihed sharing sites, like Smugmug,Shutterpoint, and others, the only thing you need to be concerned with, is to shoot and to post your best photos. The rest - promotion, marketing... is taken care of.

The best - is to have both - your own site and the sharing site, linked to each other.
lazal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 6:24 PM   #9

All great points. Thanks! I have a FOTOPIC account that I protect with passwords right now for the sake of people whose images are on the site, but I really wanted to get my company name as a domain, and then link it to a sales site. The FOTOPIC (I found out after getting everything on there) sells things in pounds, not dollars, which makes things really weird for customers in the states.

I've got three galleries that want some of my better prints that I have not posted here, and two editors (one in LA and one in Washington, DC who are looking seriously at a few of my pictures). Very exciting times!!

PS - You are too kind, digcamfan!! :lol:

Old Feb 19, 2005, 1:16 PM   #10

Im using http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=4080 and overall i think they are very good.Go there , register and try.
Slobelix
slobelix is offline   Reply With Quote