Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Feb 19, 2003, 8:39 AM   #1

Default PS RAW plug in by Adobe

what a feeling it is to just open my RAW image directly in PS7 and have total control within the PS enviornment. i'm accepting the cost ($99+tax) as the usual tribute to Adobe.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

this give you so much control and pretty much makes my DIVU redundent. i would advise this to all PS7 and RAW users. :!: :!: :!: :!:
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2003, 9:28 AM   #2
NHL

What about all those free raw (.mrw) plug-in for the D7's?

I'll bet they start charging now that there's a $99 ceiling. I think I'll ordered just to check it out against the freebies... :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 9:36 AM   #3

it works quite nicely. the file browser treats just as another format. it's basicly an all in one. and i know you'll love the histogram feature.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 3:03 PM   #4

I've been playing with it for an hour or so and I love it too. It's far faster than the Nikon plug in, and image control is magnificent. It even works in batch mode. Plus, it comes bundled with the Jpeg2000 format plug in, which Adobe claims can optionally use lossless compression. All in all, I think it was worth the hundred bucks. There's a nice review at Outback Photo:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/artofraw/raw_04/essay.html
JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 4:46 PM   #5
NHL

I was just about to order, and then notice this:
Quote:
Note: The Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw plug-in will be included as part of a future version of Adobe Photoshop. Adobe does not promise the long-term availability of this plug-in for standalone purchase. Your purchase of the plug-in does not entitle you to discounts on future upgrades of Photoshop.
... Will a future upgrade be a better deal... (even @ twice the cost of the plug-in)?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 5:38 PM   #6

It will almost undoubtedly be a part of Photoshop 8.0. I'm betting 8.0 will upgrade for $150 just like 7.0. So it will most likely be a better deal financially to wait for the next release. However, if you wait you can't play with it tonight!
Old Feb 19, 2003, 8:03 PM   #7

Default How are you transferring pics

With this new plug in are you using the usb on the camera or are you using a card reader? If a card reader, which one works best.
Thanks
Scott the Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 10:40 PM   #8

i never used the onboard usb. i have always used a reader. on the road using the camera to xfr just eats the batteries up. a reader uses the pc power and is a bit faster. i have a usb 2 pcmcia card and usb 2 reader
Old Feb 19, 2003, 11:00 PM   #9

I'm with sjms. Why waste operating time on a $2000 camera to do the job of a $30 card reader? I like my Lexar with the firewire connection a lot. It really pulls the images down fast. One of these days, I want to try one of the USB 2.0 readers. Theoretically they should be faster than firewire.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 11:57 PM   #10

Default Adobe Plug in to multi comps

Can I put this plug in both of my computers? I have a lap top and a desk top and I would like to set these up identica.
Thanks
Scott the Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote