Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:56 AM   #1

Default 8X10 help!

I'm totally new to printing and sizing.

My question is why when I go from a 4X6 to 5X7 to an 8X10 I lose some of my image? How do I prevent that.
Wink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:09 AM   #2

You can go smaller, but you can't really go bigger. When you go bigger, the program has to add pixels (and they don't make very good decisions, I'm afraid). Your best bet is to hang on to the original, so that you can resize it, each time you need a different size. Or, if you know you like certain sizes, then create each of those - going smaller each time (not bigger).
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:32 AM   #3

Wink,

There's no way to prevent that from happening. The solution is to shoot a bit wider when you take the shots so you have extra space in the image. Then you can crop that 'loose' image to any print size you want and you're not losing important parts of the image.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 3:38 PM   #4

oh man, that stinks!

I just got Lightroom 2 weeks ago. I see in this software I can select the 8X10 crop. However when I use this on a horizontal image of a baby laying down I lose the tip of his head and his little toes I guess I have to experiment.

Jeannie...I do have the original unedited pic. I may have to start over, which his edits took forever b/c I'm so new! lol Live and Learn!!

Thanks for the tips!
Wink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 4:25 PM   #5

I have never used Lightroom, so I can't give you specific advice with that program...

However generally "crop" means that the photograph will be cut. So, I'm guessing that an 8x10 crop, will cut off the edges of the image, until all that's left is an 8x10 image from the middle of the original.

What you want to do is maintain all the edges, I assume... So, you simply want to resize the image, not crop it. How you do that in your program, I have no idea. But, maybe go to the help portion of the program and then look for something that says "image size" or "resize" or something to that effect.

HTH!

Last edited by JeannieBug; Aug 5, 2011 at 4:29 PM. Reason: For clarity.
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:18 PM   #6

G'day Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink11 View Post
I'm totally new to printing and sizing. My question is why when I go from a 4X6 to 5X7 to an 8X10 I lose some of my image? How do I prevent that.
You don't tell us whether you are shooting with an dSLR in 3:2 [4x6] format or digital-compact 4:3 [800x600px] format

Presuming that your original is in 3:2 format, then your enlargements 'should' go as 4x6" to 8x12" and you will not have any image loss thru cropping during printing

Presuming that your original is in 4:3 format, then your 4x6" prints will often lose top & bottom during printing.

If commercial printing, in the printing machines, you also have an option in the "zoom & crop" menu of NOT cropping ... then your image comes out as ex-camera but with a white band at one end

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:52 PM   #7

If you don't have room around the subject to crop to your desired dimensions, and you wish to frame the print, you can print at 6.7"x10", and have a custom mat cut.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:28 PM   #8

do you have photoshop or other image editing software (not lightroom)

if so create a new 8X10 image and paste your image into it. You will end up with a white boarder but it should look OK
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote