Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Oct 5, 2003, 4:47 PM   #1

Default Increasing Size of Photos

Hi, I'm pretty new to digital images and photoshop (I have photoshop 6.0).I have some pictures from a recent vacation that I took using a Canon Powershot G3, but I had to use 1600x1200 resolution otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get all the pictures I did. Anyways, anytime I try to make them bigger for prints, etc, they come out very pixelated. How do I resize images to (for example) 8x10 from a 1600x1200 picture with losing quality? Thanks.
SpeedyManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2003, 8:52 PM   #2

Default Try Qimage

"Speedy" -

Give Qimage a try. It does an excellent job at interpolation (or resizing.) It does not alter the original file (image) but interpolates up or down depending on original specs and the desired print size. I've used it for the last 10 months and have been exceptionally pleased with it's performance.

Qimage is available at http://www.ddisoftware.com/ It has a 30 day trial period, limiting only the size of the print cue (if I recall correctly), not the quality of the prints. Plus, Mike Chaney has a dedicated "piece of the forum" here (Printing - Qimage 2003 Support) and responds fairly quickly to questions. Upgrades are free.

Hope this helps.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 7:36 PM   #3

Speedy, I really, really recommend an X-drive. They are lightweight, hold an incredible amount of data, and are very affordable - especially if you purchase one without the hard drive, purchase a drive from someone such as Computer Geeks, and put in in yourself. All you have to do is open it and pop in the drive.

To use the storage unit, just pop the cf card from your camera and insert it in the X-drive. Press a button, and wait for the lights to stop flashing. I shoot in RAW mode (11 megs per pic) and so far, I haven't filled mine up when out on a shoot away from home.

http://www.xs-drive.com/

I should add that using an X-drive means that you can shoot in your largest resolution, and be able to download your shots when your CF card is full.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:07 AM   #4

QImage is well thought of but not magic. Their reference material says their best resample filter is Lanczos, which comes free with Irfanview. Genuine Fractals is a little better. I use Fred Miranda’s Stair Interpolation (SI) often: http://www.outbackphoto.com/workshop..._08/essay.html It is easy to set up in Photoshop as an action. I have an action for 5X 5% steps and then another combining 4 of the first action. I can get pretty close to whatever size I want quickly. It really does work.

If you take the best 8 X 10 crop you can get from a 2Mp (1600 X 1200) image you end up with 150 PPI. That shouldn’t give a bad print. Epson recommends 240PPI for their better photo printers, but 150 gives a good print. If you not only saved at half the available pixels but also chose a lower quality then quality deteriorates and the artifacts from the higher compression are accentuated if you resample the image. If you have to crop more of the image you are ending up with a lower resolution that is going to impact your images.

A storage device is good if you already have at least a 256Mb CF card. If you are plugging along with less you should consider a decent sized card first. You can get a good 512Mb CF card for just over a hundred bucks. You could take probably 300 best quality JPGs with that card and you wouldn’t have a resolution problem.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 7:43 AM   #5

I experimented with a few different tools and plug-ins to enlarge images. Qimage was nice and has some nice printing features, but I didn't find the interface very clear and the enlargements were only sligly better than standard Photoshop Bicubic. I liked the built in color controls though.

My favorite so far is S-Spline Pro, it has some patented enlargement and the results are amazing. By the way I noticed these guys this year on Cebit USA, they seem to have won an award: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1131726,00.asp

You should give this a try if you want to create high-quality enlargements, its very easy to work with and does a great job! (it can be used in Photoshop too but I've only been using the standalone program)
Stephen K is offline   Reply With Quote