Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Jul 31, 2004, 12:23 AM   #1

I have been using Paint Shop Pro for a few years. Is ther a better alternative without going to Adobe Photoshop. I end up with distortion sometimes while resizing. Can that be prevented?
jtanen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2004, 4:37 AM   #2

jtanen2 wrote:
Quote:
I have been using Paint Shop Pro for a few years. Is ther a better alternative without going to Adobe Photoshop. I end up with distortion sometimes while resizing. Can that be prevented?
If you really mean 'distortion', have you checked the 'maintain aspect ratio' box at the bottom of the 'resize' dialog?

If you mean loss of sharpness, you should use USM sharpening, by visual experimentation on screen at the final (1:1) size, as the *last* operation before saving and/or printing the image.

If you mean something else by 'distortion', let us know & we'll try to help. PSP 7 & 8 can do most things that Photoshop can do, and there are lots of PSP users round here. The excellent freeware 'irfanview' from www.irfanview.com also does very good resizing, with a choice of high-class algorithms.

So going to Photoshop for resizing is seriously expensive and extreme until you've exhausted other possibilities. Also, in the sawn-off incarnation of Photoslop that I know (Photoshop 5LE), there is hopeless confusion between resizing for printing, including much unnecessary confusion about dpi & ppi resolution, and simple pixel resizing, which is, in fact, all that anyone needs. So stick with Pain Shop Pro for now (all puns are deliberate; no language was seriously harmed in this posting).
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote