Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:27 AM   #1

Hi folk,

Would be really grateful forsome help with this. I've tried to do my homework, but am finding it difficult.

I would find it incredibly helpful to note down what I have done with this image so far -and to ask for some help about what to do next -in order to get the best print possible...... (ie if I can follow the figures through the whole process for one pic, it would be great. )

I'm posting the pic because I gather the level of simplicity/complexity of the image is also relevant. I have cropped it slightly, and added to the canvas, but only using the background colour.

The image came into my prog (Photoshop Elements 2), as a jpeg, at a given res of 72ppi. (which I understand is a random figure generated by the camera manufacturer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A....

DETAILS (After I'd finished cropping/adding to canvas etc )

w. 2304 pixels W 32.001 inches

h. 1437 pixels H 19.959 inches Res. 28.346 pixels/inch.Edit. No, PPI wrong, it was infact 72pixels/inch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B....

DETAILS (Making a draft image-size to post to Steves Forums.)

w.600 pixels (inches ignored)

h.374 pixels (inches ignored) Res. ignored.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C...

DETAILS (The details I put in on the 'save for web' option in FILE.

Quality setting = 92

File size = 86.31 k

(The pix shown is this one)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, I would like to produce an 8" x 10" print, (so that the longest side is 10", and I will cut the print to size.) I will go back to the copy saved at A... and work with these specifications.It would be fantastically helpful to have instructions about what to do from there. (Or about anything else I have got glaringly wrong.)

I'm sorry this is such a long query. I don't think I have much space left so will post the pix below.

Help would be hugely appreciated.

abw, Canna

PS I see the image as a blanket that can bestretched or shrunk, and the print as themattress on top of which you place it Is this a good way to understand the dynamics, or have I got it all wrong???

Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:48 AM   #2

the pix....with apologies for the naff cloning in the knitting (aggggggh!!!)....Canna

Attached Images

Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:44 AM   #3

The specifications you give for A don't add up. I make it 72 Pixels per inch at those sizes with that number of pixels. Divide 2304 by 32 and you get 72 pixels per inch not 28.

You want to aim at around 200 ppi for your print and that seems to be what you have already.

Load the picture into PS go to image, image size ensure the resample image is set off and change the size of the longest side to 10 inches. See what the resolutions shows as then. If you do this though I suspect that the shortest side will be less than 8 inches. You might be better setting the shortest side to 8 inches and seeing what that gives.

If the resolution is still around 200 PPI it should be OK for printing. If it's less then you might need to increase the number of pixels by using the resample. Check the resample and change the resolution to 300 the print dimensions should stay the same. If elements has it then bicubic smoother is very good if not try bicubic. If you are using bicubic rather than bicubic smoother you may get better results by increasing the resolution in small steps rather than all at once.

When you use resampling to increase the number of pixels the software is basically guessing to create extra pixels that don't really exist in the original.

When working on a photo in this way I'd recommend saving it as a PSD or TIF file, saving it as JPG can degrade the image with each save.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 3:44 PM   #4

Hi Nagasaki,

Your help isvery muchappreciated! Thank you so much for ploughing through my queries.

Yes - I made a mistake, that first reading forPPI was in fact set at pixels per cm in error -It should have been 72PPI, as you said.

I followed your instructions and the final resolution was okay (over 200 PPI).

I have not been unchecking the resampling box...but will do in future when doing prints. (This has obviously been my downfall :whack:!)

What you say about bicubic resampling is very interesting - I'm pretty sure Idon't have the smoother version, so what you say isextremely helpful.

I am printing out your notes and will keep them for future refs. They will be very useful.

Thanks again.

abw, Canna.

Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:37 AM   #5

No problem. The resampling can be useful but can also cause problems. In particular if you are sizing down the print size and you keep resample checked it will throw awaypixels to maintain the DPI at 72.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 9:00 AM   #6

Yup, I will only ever check the resampling box for web postings in future.

Canna
Old Feb 8, 2005, 11:56 AM   #7

The best way you can get an 8 X 10 from what you currently have is to go File>New and make an empty file at 2304 X 1843 pixels. Use 230.4 PPI and you won't have to resample. Set it for RGB color and a white background. Drag your image into the new file and use the eyedropper to select the color of the background. Select the background layer and color it the same blue. You will get a print that looks like this – you could put it a little lower rather than center it and it might look a tad better:

If you want to stretch out the sweater to an 8 X 10 format you can open your cropped image. Go Image>Image Size. With Constrain Proportions unchecked and Resample Image checked put 1843 pixels in the height box – 2304 should still be in the width. Put 230.4 pixels/inch in the Resolution box. Then put 10 inches in the width and 8 inches in the height in the Document Size. If you do it in that order you get an 8 X 10 that looks like this:

You might do better to go back to the original image and crop it to 8 X 10 if the sweater isn't too wide. With the original image select the crop tool and put 10 inches in the width and 8 inches in the height with nothing in the pixels/inch. It will constrain the crop to make an 8 X 10 and give you all of your pixels without a resample. You will always end up with an 8 X 10 if your crop box looks like this:

If you want your 8 X 10 with white at the top and bottom you could just print the first file without coloring the background.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:31 PM   #8

Hi Slipe,

That is amazing!!

I've tried all your suggested approaches and they all seem to work fantastically!

I only recently got PS Elements. I cannot believe the bliss of the 3rd approach, and being able to constrain your crop to fixed dimensions. That's another 10 years added on to my life... So simple....

Basically I hadn't done any resizing iin any of the ways you suggested, and it was taking me ages, and often I was losing pixels. Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will certainly use them from now on.

abw, Canna.