Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Jul 23, 2003, 2:25 PM   #1

Default Rollei Digital Cameras

I haven't seen any reviews for any of the Rollei digital cameras. I am interested in the 4.1 megapixel Rollei d41.
Chap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2003, 3:41 PM   #2
NHL

FYI

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ghlight=rollei
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 12:00 PM   #3

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=25

Check out the above to see more pix taken by the Rollei DR-5100 28-85 5.1M pixels. It is made by Ricoh and is identical to the Ricoh Capilio GX.

Fabulous camera. Macro is dynamite

Maxpixels
Attached Images

maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 1:17 AM   #4

You haven't said where you are but in the UK you can get the DR5100 for £139 from www.ukdigital.co.uk

The best price I found the Ricoh version was just under £200

It's an excellent camera unless shot to shot time is important to you. It's lightening fast at taking pictures but slower at storing them (and recharging the flash).

I wonder if using the Li-ion option charges the flash any quicker - does anyone know ?
Terry1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 12:41 PM   #5

Hi Terry1100,

Some time ago I had a problem of battery (using Ni-MH)with my Ricoh GX and rang Ricoh customer service about it. I also asked them if time to store files to SD card would be shorter with high speed card. They answered that these problems came from power supply and would be solved using Li-ion battery. But I had not mentionned flash recharging time.
dmau58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 3:17 AM   #6

Cheers,

Although one of the reasons that this camera was on my shortlist was the AA battery compatibility, I might try the Li-on if I can find one cheap enough.

Is it one of those types that fits a range of cameras ?

Old May 9, 2005, 5:07 AM   #7

Hi Terry,

I found on http://www.electronic-boulevard.com a DB-43 battery (Ricoh reference) at 19 euros and its charger at 30 euros, but so far I stick to the standard Ni-MH batteries. Ricoh had also mentionned high capacity 1.25 v Ni-MH batteries which would improve the performance of the camera, but I did not try them either.

Checking the link, I just found the price of the Li-ion battery is now 15 euros

dmau58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 5:34 AM   #8

Hi Terry,
I was wondering how you're finding the Rollei DR5100? I am seriously thinking about getting one (I also visited the Tottenham Ct Road shop next to Warren Street tube and was blown away by the superior image quality compared with the IXus 40 which the owner was very disparaging about).

As it seems to be a rebranded Ricoh Caplio GX (see http://new.dpnow.com/1352.html) I've been looking into its strengths/weaknesses based on views of the Caplio. Purple flare seems to be the main image problem. Have found this to be a problem?

Also, any luck finding the Li-on batteries?
cheers!
Ian
ianios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 1:27 PM   #9

I bought my Rollei from Kamera onlineat £129. They are now out of stock

http://www.ukdigital.co.uk/rollei_dr5100.htm

is at £139. You shouldn't have to pay more.

I haven't seen any blue tinge in anything I've taken so far and I wouldn't worry about it. You could pay £500+ for a camera and not get blue tinge in the bargain

I have 2100mH Ni metal Hydride rechargables and they hold up fine for days shooting - without flash it must be said. I set the flash off. So it never charges every time I turn the camera on. This does save battery power. I carry a set of 2 AA as spare because when the meter goes off full the batteries die within seconds. So you need spares

Maxpixels

Attached Images

maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 4:00 PM   #10

Ian,

I still love it. There is only one (in my opinion) major flaw with the DR5100. It's "write time" is ridiculous for a modern digital camera.

If you're not in a hurry between shots - it's fine in every other respect. Like Maxpixels, I have found no problem with the chromatic aberation mentioned in nearly every review.

It's true that there are better cameras for noise - but at least you've got high ISO settings to keep shutter speeds up. There's also plenty of options to clean it up in software (PSP9 has a specific Noise FIlter which works well)

Best of all it's sensibly sized for normal human hands with a useable optical viewfinder.