Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Sep 30, 2003, 4:32 AM   #1

Default Ricoh Caplio G3 - noise problem

Hi,
I have this camera (Caplio G3) from ~1 month now and i'm really content with it. The negative reviews regarding the plastic case i think are a bit exagerated.

The problem that i would like to solve here is the noise (little blue/white dots) that i get on the picture when using a custom time exposure (usually for more than 2 sec exposure). I took some pictures at night and they were ok, except this noise present mostly in the dark areas of the picture. The camera can expose the picture for up to 8 sec, but from a exposure of 4 secs the noise is present on the image.

if all setting are set to auto then the picture is really good but the long exposure effect (on moving objects) is atenuated.

i have the latests firmware (1.01) and this didn't solved this problem.

what do you recomand me?
Dacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2003, 7:16 AM   #2

Default Sorry !

Hi ! Rich G3 don't have noise reduction ! So don't expect any upgrade of firmware can solve the noise problem ! My suggestion is that never use the long shutter ! Otherwise you will be mad of the photos ! :twisted:
gapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2003, 7:17 AM   #3

Default Sorry !

Hi ! Rich G3 don't have noise reduction ! So don't expect any upgrade of firmware can solve the noise problem ! My suggestion is that never use the long shutter ! Otherwise you will be mad of the photos ! :twisted:
Old Sep 30, 2003, 7:24 AM   #4

i see, but this is not encouraging...

and yes: Caplio G3 don't have noise reduction, this is the only way to deal with this problem?

i thought that maybe if i change some other settings the image noise will disappear but i didn't found which one, so maybe there is no solution for this.

or maybe can others have some more to say about this.

ps: why they (Ricoh) allowed this feature if the image quality is unsatifying in this conditions??
Old Sep 30, 2003, 9:57 AM   #5

Sorry if my message make you annoying ! By the way, I am the Minolta F100 user and F100 also don't have noise reduction ! What I did is that I use the largest aperture and let the shutter to become short. Using this method I can take some photos with less noise ! But I remember that Ricoh G3 can't change aperture !!!! :shock: So.......... Hope others can give you some ideas ![/img]
Old Oct 9, 2003, 3:26 AM   #6

Hello

Maybe somebody could be so kind and provide us with some examples of other cameras in this class having noise reduction (eg Canon A60 ?? ) ?

I remember also that I asked why some cameras have only ISO 100 fixed and I got answer that hihger ISO leads to noise. So maybe it could sound a little bit heretic, try to lower the ISO and longer time. Have you amnipulated ISO setting ? I am interesting because I consider buying this camera.

sincerely Olek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapman
Sorry if my message make you annoying ! By the way, I am the Minolta F100 user and F100 also don't have noise reduction ! What I did is that I use the largest aperture and let the shutter to become short. Using this method I can take some photos with less noise ! But I remember that Ricoh G3 can't change aperture !!!! :shock: So.......... Hope others can give you some ideas ![/img]
olekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 6:23 AM   #7
blr

Noise reduction works by making a second exposure with the shutter closed (i.e. no light reaching the sensor) and subtracting this dark frame from the original image. Thus, all sensor noise is elliminated. Noise increases with incresing ISO setting and exposure time. Usually, cameras that do have a noise reduction are factory set to enable the reduction at shutter speeds slower than 1 sec. or thereabout. On some cameras you can also manually enable/disable the noise reduction.

Wothout noise reduction , and with no way to control aperture all you can do with the G3 is to keep theISO to 160 (minimum for this camera I believe) and try to remove the noise by post processing Programs like NeatImage do a very good job of cleaning noise from digital pictures .
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 8:08 AM   #8

thanks blr for the info.

i have tried what you say and it did quite a good job on removing the noise.

it took me some time to figure it out how to do this post-processing... i would prefer the camera to do it by itself... but for this i think you have to pay a little more for such a camera.

anyway i have found a way to remove the noise fromCaplio G3 pics.