Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Nov 10, 2009, 2:25 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Ricoh GXR Released

Well the rumors were true. Ricoh just announced their GXR which rather than being an interchangeable lens system. It interchanges modules that include sensor/shutter/aperture. This allows you to put on a small point and shoot sensor and zoom lens combination when you want portability and convenience. And later when you want low-light performance and/or shallow depth of field, you can put on your APS-C sensored 50mm prime lens. Very cool.

http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/gxr/
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:12 PM   #2

And, Hards-

It is just about the same size as the Olympus EP-2.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:16 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Have you seen the pricetag on it though. It's pretty high for something in this class. The body-only (no lens module) is 550$. the zoom lens module with small sensor is 440$ and the 50 2.5 macro prime module with APS-C sensor is 830$.... so at minimum you spent 1000$ on a small sensor camera, or 1400$ for a fixed lens aps-c camera.

thats going to prohibit alot of buyers.

i think my interest remains in the Micro 4/3 system due the increased flexibility (especially with easy compatibility with legacy glass) and more reasonable pricetags.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:08 PM   #4

I surely do agree with you, Hards-

That is just too expensive when you consider that by PMA in January 2010, Sony, Kodak, and Canon might have all gotten on board the m4/3 "train" as well. So there is going to be a lot happening in the next 60 days or so on m4/3's wrestling mat!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:43 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Yea, i think they priced themselves out of the game.

I know samsung is going to introduce a mirrorless camera using an aps-c sized sensor, however, the rumors so far show a camera that is too big to compete with the m4/3, it is the size of entry-level dslrs, just a bit thinner. think they missed the whole point there actually. plus they are using a proprietary lens system, which they just don't have the name to carry. this one will flop without another manufacturer jumping on board and doing something smaller and adding some lenses, hello pentax???

nikon put down a patent recently for a sensor that is just slightly smaller than m4/3 sensors. this could be their entry in mirrorless. however, it appears that this may not be an interchangeable lens system, rather a fixed lens, large sensor super-zoom type bridge. who knows.

canon seems to be playing this one safe. not sure exactly what they have, or if they have anything planned. my guess is they will not jump onboard with anyone else. but rather do something completely proprietary, as they always do.

the fovean sensor from sigma would be an ideal candidate for a mirrorless interchangeable lens system. the absolute resolution advantage of the bayer sensors has caught up with the per-pixel and color resolution of the fovean. but if they were to increase the resolution to maybe 70% of the top bayer sensors. and find a partner with better electronics, so their AF systems and general electronic quality is increased. put that in a mirrorless interchangeable lens system where that company produces the bodies and sigma makes the lenses and you could have a great system.