Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Mar 20, 2010, 4:12 PM   #11

Let me make 2 corrections. One was the time. My wrist watch which I rely on for time was off by an hour. The little dial that you can the adjust time with was loose. Second is the terminology of first photo's. Maybe that is not correct word, since I was able to take a total of three photo's that day. When I go out shooting with a brand new camera, any shots taken within that day are considered first shots by me. There are different types of photography, and I favor the art side. It is very important to me, to see how JPEGS react to HDR and post processing. The next two photos are examples. The Ricoh CX1 is doing a great job concerning the effect I'm after. Please do not judge these photos. they were rushed through just to let me study them. That is no halo effect in photo 2. The weak sun was setting behind the building. Really like the lines though...
Attached Images

Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 4:27 PM   #12
jjs

Ancientritual those HDRs are terrific. Who would guess that they were taken with a CX1? Looks like JPEGs do well for HDR photos when the developer knows what he/she is doing.
Good work!
jjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 4:31 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Ancient, are you tone-mapping a single JPEG, or are you running a hdr on 3 different jpegs?

anyways, they seem to react well to the type of processing you do. these look great.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 5:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjs View Post
Ancientritual those HDRs are terrific. Who would guess that they were taken with a CX1? Looks like JPEGs do well for HDR photos when the developer knows what he/she is doing.
Good work!
Thank you for your comment. I was planning on taking the CX1 for another test drive today, but the conditions are not right. Overcast day, but really no cloud formations. There are a few minor faults I have with the camera, but nothing major. The my1 and my2 selections have limitations. Right now I have them set up for ISO, WB, AB, and exposure Comp. Wish there was a way to assign time exposures to them. Maybe there is a way but I have not figured that one out yet. Having to go into the menu system to adjust 1,2,4, and 8 second exposures is a hassle. Another thing that I was concerned about was the JPEG size. On fine setting this 9.29 MP camera is only producing around 3.18 JPEGS. Almost to much compression for my tastes. This however does not seem to effect the JPEG quality. What is unique about these JPEGS is there look. When viewed small they have a soft look. Zoom in and things become sharp and very detailed. In fact the more you zoom in the better they look up to a certain point. When viewed on my 23" monitor and zoomed to fill the entire space, they look very nice.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 7:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Ancient, are you tone-mapping a single JPEG, or are you running a hdr on 3 different jpegs?

anyways, they seem to react well to the type of processing you do. these look great.
Thank you for commenting. I really wanted to test the DR setting, but the sun was to weak in my opinion for adequate testing. What I ended up testing was AB, exposure comp, and time settings. Photo 1 was a 3 JPEG HDR. Photo 2 was a 5 JPEG HDR. The 5 block area around the city museum is a quickly becoming my favorite place to shoot. I have 4 shots lined up around there, just waiting for the right conditions.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:38 AM   #16

The next 2 photo's are taken with different camera's. The first one is taken with a Sony H20. The second one is taken with the Ricoh CX1. It is not a great test because the photos have been reduced to almost nothing. There is a time difference between the shots. Photo 1 was taken probably 30 minutes earlier. I was trying to wait out the sun spots, but the building was closing. I put photo 2 through HDR first and the temp was -3 from a previous HDR. I was rushing through the process and corrected photo 1, but not 2. Plus they were shot at a different angle. I like the scout photos, will re-shoot the scene on a cloudy day. When pixel peeping they are pretty close, but the Ricoh has a slight advantage...
Attached Images

Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:46 AM   #17
Super Moderator

well if it edges out the H20 the it is doing quite well.

does the Ricoh keep the edge over the H20 when we are talking non-HDR shots.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:13 AM   #18

Anyone who has seen the Old Courthouse Photo ( in the HDR forum) this is the thought process and the photo sequence I go through. All JPEGS were taken with the Ricoh CX1. All of them have been resized (I hate doing that) and a small amount of unsharp mask added. Photo 1-very nice sunset glow on building, but no clouds. Photo 2-I had to wait for Photo 3, but clouds were in the sky (I took a few exposures). 30 minutes before the sunset glow on the building I took some real nice cloud formations over the building (Not shown). After being at the location for 90 minutes the shell light came on (photo3). Combine these photos in HDR and this will be an unique photo. This shot will require a lot of time. Probably will have 10 - 12 layers when done. The small little building on the left side will be removed and the church reflection in the windows will eliminated. You will see the results in a few months. Spring time is my prime time for shooting.
Attached Images

Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:45 AM   #19

Next test will be the DR. Will post within a day or two.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
well if it edges out the H20 the it is doing quite well.

does the Ricoh keep the edge over the H20 when we are talking non-HDR shots.
It is very close. At base ISO the JPEG output is about even on both cameras. When it comes to chromatic aberration and barrel distortion, the Ricoh has the edge.