Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:57 PM   #21

The DR capability does work. The effect has minor impact on the very weak and weak setting. On medium (normal) or high there is a difference. It is a nice feature, but like anything else there is a small price to pay. The contrast takes a big hit. Just keep that in mind when viewing the 3 photos below. Photo 1 a normal JPEG, the other 2 are DR.
Attached Images

Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 1:12 PM   #22

In conclusion, I feel this camera is worth every dime, nickel, and cent that I paid for it. For $229.00 USD with a free battery and memory card included you will be hard pressed to find something that offers better value for the money. This camera lists for $379.00 USD and its quality build, IQ, and Battery life (500 JPEGS on a single charge) is well worth that price. I will continue to post in here, simply because I really enjoy using this camera...
Old Mar 26, 2010, 1:27 PM   #23

Another photo taken with the CX1. This image is in its infancy stage. Just enough processing done to it for use as study material. Will enhance further at a later date.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ancientritual; Mar 26, 2010 at 1:29 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:26 PM   #24

This is a 3 JPEG HDR PANO of St. Louis. I will not be using this one as a final version. A 5 JPEG HDR will be used. It has more shafts of light streaming down and more DR. This will give you a general idea of a PANO shot with the Ricoh CX1. I should use a better resizing program, but the one I have is setup for enlargements. I know I'm lazy...
Attached Images

Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:13 AM   #25

Well done, ancient ritual-

I have been following your postings with interest. I surely does look like the Ricoh CX1 is doing a fine job for you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:38 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Well done, ancient ritual-

I have been following your postings with interest. I surely does look like the Ricoh CX1 is doing a fine job for you.

Sarah Joyce
Thank you Sarah. Like you, I have owned a lot of cameras in my lifetime. From view cameras on down. Every once in awhile you find a camera and for some unknown reason everything just clicks. With the settings dialed in, this camera produces the effect that I'm after with reliable results. Sure it has minor flaws, but nothing to prevent it from becoming my favorite digicam...
Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:11 PM   #27

That is excellent news ancient ritual-

What is your take on the CX2 versus the CX1? I had looked at the CX2, but based on your photos now seem to be favoring the CX1.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:36 PM   #28

I cannot give you an accurate assessment on the CX2. After reading a ton of reviews, I know that Ricoh changed the lens from the CX1 to the CX2. The CX2 really suffered from edge softness. The CX2 and CX3 share the same lens, but Ricoh managed to do some tweaking and the CX3 has better edge sharpness. Like I said before the CX1 delivers the look I'm after. This may or may not be applicable to you or somebody else. I use the base ISO setting, minimum aperture priority is set, fine JPEG mode, AB, Exposure Comp, and self timer mode. All shots are taken on a tripod. I do fiddle around with the WB setting. Usually I will take a test shot with AWB, if that does not work, I will use other settings including custom WB. The purpose of this thread is not to push people into buying this camera. Everyone has different tastes and demands when they purchase a camera. It is just my opinion, based on value for the dollar, that this camera is an excellent buy. I have shot with Lumix, Cannon, Fuji and Sony digicams and none of them provided the look I was after compared to this camera. It is very quick to setup and move on. Plus people generally leave you alone compared to shooting with a DSLR. I hope this helps you Sarah...
Old Mar 30, 2010, 7:30 PM   #29

It does help a lot, ancient ritual-

I am very impressed with your HDR shots. And would much prefer the lower public profile afforded by a very good point and shoot camera, rather than using an attention getting DSLR camera.

What software are you using to create your HDR photos? Is it Photo Matrix?

You see we are stirring up things here in the Ricoh folder.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:36 AM   #30

I use 2 HDR programs. DPHDR and Photomatix. All photos above are Photomatix versions. DPHDR versions will be done later when I'm making final versions of the photographs. I will compare the 2 HDR versions and decide on which one to go with. The majority of my final versions are usually using both HDR versions and blending them together using various opacity settings. The key factor is noise. Photomatix generates far more noise then DPHDR. That is why all my initial versions are done in Photomatix. It tells me basically where I stand as far as the noise or grain situation.

The only thing that we are stirring up is dust and mildew . People will not be beating down the Ricoh CX1 door trying to get in. Maybe I will take some final versions over to the flicker arena and try to bring some CX1 users in here. For now it looks like its you and me Sarah...