Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:55 AM   #41

Wow you have a CX2 and a CX1. Now you can really compare the two cameras from the same company. Either prove the reviews right or wrong. I have compared the CX1 to other digicams, but nothing from the same family. Will enjoy your comments concerning both cameras. Arnold your friendly seagull seems to trust you. Sorry to here about your husband's condition. Life can take us down some rocky roads at times. God bless you and your husband...

Steve
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 2:06 PM   #42

Thanks a lot, Steve-

It has been a real shift in what I am able to do, but we are coping nicely, and attempt to make the best of every opportunity our day present to us.

My initial feelings about the CX1 versus the CX2, based on a very small experience level, is that the CX1 might indeed have the better image quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:31 AM   #43

An old power plant in St. louis. Photo taken with the CX1...
Attached Images

Old Apr 11, 2010, 2:21 AM   #44
Super Moderator

that cx1 is treating you well, is it your new "go to" camera?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:04 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
that cx1 is treating you well, is it your new "go to" camera?

Thanks Hards 80. Well it produces the effect that I'm after without putting to much effort into post processing. Right now this is my primary camera. Ricoh seems to be cranking out new versions of the CX series at a fast rate. I will wait until summer to see if there is a CX4. If not, I will buy a GX200.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 3:51 PM   #46

I actually see the CX1 as a bit better imagewise than the CX2, hence I am a bit apprehensive about a CX4. Rapid camera introduction cycles seems to be a corporate style for Ricoh. I choose to just ignore the rapid evolution style for awhile and to focus on the CX1.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 13, 2010, 1:42 PM   #47

Default Questions

I am now the owner of a CX3 and have many questions, but will start slowly.Ancientritual you say "I use the base ISO setting, minimum aperture priority is set, fine JPEG mode, AB, Exposure Comp,".I am so innocent of knowledge I do not know what you mean by "base ISO, do you mean you set the ISO to 80 ( which is the lowest ISO on the CX3)? Also on CX3 I would not know how to set for minimum aperture aside from using the lowest ISO. I also do not know what you mean by "AB" or "Exposure Comp" . Sorry for the linguistic difficulty on my part but if I am going to participate on the forum I need to speak the same language.
Thanks
Peter
box camera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:31 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by box camera View Post
I am now the owner of a CX3 and have many questions, but will start slowly.Ancientritual you say "I use the base ISO setting, minimum aperture priority is set, fine JPEG mode, AB, Exposure Comp,".I am so innocent of knowledge I do not know what you mean by "base ISO, do you mean you set the ISO to 80 ( which is the lowest ISO on the CX3)? Also on CX3 I would not know how to set for minimum aperture aside from using the lowest ISO. I also do not know what you mean by "AB" or "Exposure Comp" . Sorry for the linguistic difficulty on my part but if I am going to participate on the forum I need to speak the same language.
Thanks
Peter
Sorry if I confused you. Since you are using the CX3 there maybe some slight variations. Base ISO = lowest ISO setting. On the CX1 this is 80.
AB = Auto bracketing - the camera will take 3 exposures , normal, an under exposure and an over exposure. Exposure compensation - since this is an automatic camera this setting allows you to take a normal exposure, a 1 and 2 fstop overexposure and a 1 and 2 fstop underexposure. WB = white balance. All these setting are assigned to my 1. My CX1 is primarly used for HDR. All photos are taken on a tripod, to prevent alignment issues. The CX1 in the menu system has a setting for minimum aperture priority on/off. I leave the setting on for depth of field (DOF) reasons. That means the camera will stay at or above F-6.8 which equals more DOF. F-5.6 and below equals less DOF and faster shutter speeds. If I'm shooting a building with no sky I will use the EXP COMP which allows me (-1,-2,0,+1,+2) exposures. That range will cover about 90% of the HDR's that you will ever do. If I shoot a scene with a sky involved then I will use the AB and EXP COMP setting. AB allows you to fire of 3 shots quickly thus helping to prevent the ghosting of clouds. I hope this helps you...
Old Apr 13, 2010, 5:28 PM   #49

Thanks for the response. I can't find on the CX3 the minimum aperture priority setting, otherwise all is the same. Do you use the noise reduction feature?

Thanks to the earlier postings in this thread I am introducing myself to HDR software ( Dynamic Photo free edition). I have previously only used the elementary adjustments available in iphoto and never played with nor do I own Photoshop Elements or Photoshop.

I have come to the conclusion that the DR choice on the camera may work in certain situations but that bracketing is better for the sort of point and shoot stuff I do.

I have had the camera since Friday pm and am a bit overwhelmed by all the choices. Trying to cudgel an old brain into the digital camera age and forget about developer, hypo, darkroom etc.

Do you have a light weight easy to travel with tripod?

box camera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:38 PM   #50

box camera-

Yes, I have several tripods. One for use at home (now 57 years old and well used) and another that will pack in a carry-on suitcase. When choosing a light weight tripos, you must make certain it is sturdy and capable of safely supporting your valuable camera in all weather conditions.

Sarah Joyce