Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:28 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by box camera View Post
Thanks for the response. I can't find on the CX3 the minimum aperture priority setting, otherwise all is the same. Do you use the noise reduction feature?

Thanks to the earlier postings in this thread I am introducing myself to HDR software ( Dynamic Photo free edition). I have previously only used the elementary adjustments available in iphoto and never played with nor do I own Photoshop Elements or Photoshop.

I have come to the conclusion that the DR choice on the camera may work in certain situations but that bracketing is better for the sort of point and shoot stuff I do.

I have had the camera since Friday pm and am a bit overwhelmed by all the choices. Trying to cudgel an old brain into the digital camera age and forget about developer, hypo, darkroom etc.

Do you have a light weight easy to travel with tripod?

Any noise reduction that I do is in post processing. All my settings are in the 0 position or normal when it comes to NR (noise reduction), sharpness and contrast. Then any changes are again made in post processing. If you want to do some work in HDR, I would leave the camera NR off and make adjustments after processing in a HDR program. HDR has a tendency to create more noise, so a noise reduction program will allow you to make fine tune adjustments without losing detail. I have 3 tripods. A heavy duty bogen tripod and 2 lightweight tripods. Both my lightweights have a hook at the bottom of the center post allowing me to hang my backpack filled with camera equipment for added stability. Both extend to 57" and weigh around 2LBS...
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:19 AM   #52

It is always nice to have two HDR programs. When ever you throw a new trick into Photomatix it sometimes chews on it and spits it back right at you. Such is the case with this photo. The sun was playing peek a boo with the clouds, so I was able to capture 3 images in full sunlight. There was mesh type railing over the walk bridge that created the shadow patterns. I just waited until the clouds covered the sun and took 4 more images. Photomatix created a monster and almost went into melt down mode. DPHDR handle this complex image like a stroll in the park. Photo taken with the Ricoh CX1...
Attached Images

Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:07 PM   #53

Thanks, ancientritual-

you got a very nice effect from this photo. Besides Photo Matrix, what other HDR program are you using?

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 18, 2010 at 11:05 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:53 PM   #54

Thanks ancientritual for the clarity re settings for HDR . I made some experiments yesterday re settings because I was having such trouble aligning images. As you know and I found out, the easiest alighnment comes with1)no shake correction( I suspect the servo has some noise at zero movement of the camera), 2)no noise correction of the photo 3) time delay for the exposure and 4) some weight on the tripod. I borrowed my wife's Chinese brand carbon fiber tri and it is steadier with a weight but not required if I use a 5 second delay and there is no wind. So thanks both to you and mtclimber.
I also did some experiments re the highest usable iso for my eye using a tripod. 800 works but just barely 1600 and 3200 are sales tools for Ricoh.
I also looked at the instruction manuals for the CX1,2 and 3. Sure enough only the CX1 has a setting that allows you to fix minimum aperture.
I wish there was some was to compare the color quality, sharpness etc of all three models. So far I am very happy with the 3 and am still in the experiment learning stages.
box camera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:15 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Thanks, ancientritual-

you got a very nice effect from this photo. Besides Photo Matrix, what other HDR program are you using?

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
The other HDR program is Dynamic Photo. I have been using this program for over 3 years now.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:31 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by box camera View Post
Thanks ancientritual for the clarity re settings for HDR . I made some experiments yesterday re settings because I was having such trouble aligning images. As you know and I found out, the easiest alighnment comes with1)no shake correction( I suspect the servo has some noise at zero movement of the camera), 2)no noise correction of the photo 3) time delay for the exposure and 4) some weight on the tripod. I borrowed my wife's Chinese brand carbon fiber tri and it is steadier with a weight but not required if I use a 5 second delay and there is no wind. So thanks both to you and mtclimber.
I also did some experiments re the highest usable iso for my eye using a tripod. 800 works but just barely 1600 and 3200 are sales tools for Ricoh.
I also looked at the instruction manuals for the CX1,2 and 3. Sure enough only the CX1 has a setting that allows you to fix minimum aperture.
I wish there was some was to compare the color quality, sharpness etc of all three models. So far I am very happy with the 3 and am still in the experiment learning stages.
All Digicams including bridge cameras suffer from noise problems above ISO 400. This is due to there small sensors. I will not use a digicam above base ISO. Anything above base ISO combined with HDR tends to become very grainy. All my photos are enlarged to 11x14 or 13x19 using a program called Genuine Fractuals. This allows all prints to be printed at 300 DPI without any loss of detail. For standard 4x6 prints ISO 400 and maybe 800 will be okay. For 5x7 to 8x10 prints I would stick with ISO 200 and below. Glad to hear you are enjoying your Ricoh CX3...
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:01 AM   #57
Super Moderator

this last image is quite nice ancient. i love the perspective and the use of repeating lines. very nice. and the hdr looks great.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:17 AM   #58

Thanks, ancientritual-

I just downloaded Dynamic Photo as I use a MAC Power Book. I have three more weeks of teaching this Photoshop Elements class, then I will have some extra time as I am not going to teach during the Summer Quarter.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:33 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
this last image is quite nice ancient. i love the perspective and the use of repeating lines. very nice. and the hdr looks great.
Thank you for your comment. This photo was taken at your old stomping grounds (Wash U).
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:37 AM   #60
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientritual View Post
Thank you for your comment. This photo was taken at your old stomping grounds (Wash U).
oh really? is that on main campus? i dont recall that walkway (but i was usually on the med campus)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote