Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Nov 3, 2004, 3:02 PM   #11

Thanks for the info, blr! I am seriously considering this little camera now.

Could you post a couple of more images? And maybe acrop of an image that is not downsized?
MadisUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 1:32 PM   #12

The above picture looks good, but downsizing and recompressing really doesn't make sense. Use jpegcrop for lossless cropping. A dark blue sky would be useful to evaluate noise.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:04 PM   #13

Does anyone have any personal experience with or know any reviews of the Ricoh R1 telezoom lens and converter?

I like the sound of the R1 but I need to be able to take some wildlife shots on safari as well. The teleconverter might solves all my problems...

Sample photos using it would be great!!
Squizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 8:25 PM   #14

BLR:

Have you had any more experience with enlarging prints? How do they look at A4 size?

I really appreciate your help.
Squizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 5:46 AM   #15
blr

Squizz wrote:
Quote:
BLR:

Have you had any more experience with enlarging prints? How do they look at A4 size?

I haven't printed A4 from the R1. Smaller prints look nice. I' ll be getting the new Canon Pixma 4000 next month and then be able to test the R1 quality at A4.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 8:10 PM   #16

Im considering this camera, its on Todays Special Value on QVC today ony £189.99 with Leather case, charger 4 rechargable batteries and 128mb SD card

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukgasp/frameset...v&item=tsv
deanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 7:09 AM   #17
blr

blr wrote:
Quote:
Squizz wrote:
Quote:
BLR:

I haven't printed A4 from the R1. Smaller prints look nice. I' ll be getting the new Canon Pixma 4000 next month and then be able to test the R1 quality at A4.
I just printed couple of images from R1 at A4 this weekend on a Pixma iP4000. The images look nice. I didn't inspect them under a magnifier but in normal inspection I couldn't see any JPEG artifacts. When enlarged to 100% on the computer screen I could see some artifacts around edges, but they are apparently too small to show up clearly on a A4 print
Old Jan 22, 2005, 1:59 PM   #18

blr,

Thanks for posting your informative review of the R1. How do you find the movie mode compares between the R1 and the Sony W1 (I believe you've used both)? The R1 is 320x240 at 30fps unlimited, is that right? The Sony is 640x480 at 30fps, but I've read that it's actually interpolated 320x240, so is there actually much difference in quality (a) viewing on TV, (b) on computer? I know I should check out samples for myself, but my ancient PC is too slow for 640x480 30fps!

Also, the R1 review at Photography Blog...
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie..._caplio_r1.php
...criticizes the ergonomics, in particular slippery controls with poor feel and rough-sounding zoom action. Do you agree?

Thanks,

Dave
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 8:34 AM   #19
blr

davej wrote:
Quote:
blr,

Thanks for posting your informative review of the R1. How do you find the movie mode compares between the R1 and the Sony W1 (I believe you've used both)? The R1 is 320x240 at 30fps unlimited, is that right? The Sony is 640x480 at 30fps, but I've read that it's actually interpolated 320x240, so is there actually much difference in quality (a) viewing on TV, (b) on computer? I know I should check out samples for myself, but my ancient PC is too slow for 640x480 30fps!

Also, the R1 review at Photography Blog...
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie..._caplio_r1.php
...criticizes the ergonomics, in particular slippery controls with poor feel and rough-sounding zoom action. Do you agree?

Thanks,

Dave
Dave,

The movie mode on the R1 is indeed 320x240/30 fps and memory card limited. It looks nice on small TV screens, say 14-19". On the computer screen the lack of resolution becomes more apparent. The w1 movies look better . I don't know if they are interpolated, but they are better, especially in low light.

About the ergonomics, I don't find the controls to be "slippery" or anything like that. To me the quality of controls is very good for camera of that price. The only thing I like less than 100% is the on off switch. It'd have been better to leave it as it is on the other cameras.