Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Aug 5, 2004, 1:19 AM   #1

How would you Ricoh fans like a compact body,something like a G4,with a 28-135lens?

Franco
REALYTYCHECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2004, 9:55 AM   #2

It will happen very soon...

And it will be a 4 MP.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 7:10 PM   #3

How about a metal body and 30fps movies?

I think that we should call this the R1

Franco
REALYTYCHECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2004, 5:14 AM   #4
blr

Yes the new camera is called Caplio R1. I got mine yesterday. If there is an interest I can post some sort of a mini review in a few days when I get more pictures out of it. My first impressions are positive. The camera has 28-135 zoom lens, the build quality is very good and it's fast. It has some nice features like exposure bracketing and WB bracketing, selectable focus point in macro mode and interval picture taking. I paid something like 280 Euro which is a great price for a 4 MP cam with such a fetures and build.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 4:13 AM   #5

I´m thinking of buying R1, but I´m wondering about the image-quality. Is it as good as the features presume?
Monique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 6:33 AM   #6
blr

Monique wrote:
Quote:
I´m thinking of buying R1, but I´m wondering about the image-quality. Is it as good as the features presume?
I haven't done an extensive testing, just took some pictures yesterday and the image quality seems good. Noise levels are low and sharpness and tonal balance are good. I will take more pictures and will post some short review here in a few days
Old Oct 28, 2004, 12:42 PM   #7

I´d like it very much to seesome pictures taken by the R1, could you send me some by e-mail? my mail adres is: [email protected]
Monique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 6:49 PM   #8

I am also interested in seeing some unmodified photos made with R1. This camera has all the features i need for a back-up camera but so far i have been unable to find a decent review of it.
MadisUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 6:52 AM   #9
blr

Here come my impressions after 10 days of use :

Hi guys and gals.

I've had my R1 for some 10 days now and have taken approximately 250 pictures. I am not gonna comment much on the build quality and features, you can read about these elsewhere, in a word the camera is very well build and has some nice features normally found on a lot more expensive cameras, such as auto exposure bracketing and even auto white balance bracketing. The user interface is also very well implemented.
How is image quality? Not bad at all. Obviously the optical performance of the lens is somewhat compromised due to wider zoom range. At 28 mm some corner softness is present and there is a fair amount of chromatic aberration in high contrast areas. Some vignetting is also visible especially when flash is used. However if you don't plan to enlarge bigger than A5 the image quality remains good at 28 mm. Zooming in to 35-50 mm range improves the optical quality. Corner sharpness is better and CA is decreased. In fact at 35 mm the Ricoh lens is as good or better than any other 35 mm lens on a compact digicam. At the extreme telephoto end things look good with good sharpness and contrast.
Previously, Ricoh digital cameras have been criticised for high noise even at low ISO caused by too much in-camera sharpening. My Caplio G3 was an example. I was pleased to see that this is over. Setting sharpness to "Normal" produces low noise at ISO 64 and ISO 100. At ISO 200 the noise becomes visible but can be counteracted by turning down the internal sharpening. At even higher ISO settings things get noisy, especially at ISO 800 as it could be expected from a small CCD sensor camera. I tried ISO 800 in a dimlly lit room and there was a lot of color noise, but NeatImage did a surprisingly good job cleaning it and the end result was perfectly acceptable, so if you have to, you can use it with some post processing.
My main criticism about image quality is some JPEG artifacts. The camera compresses the images quite a lot, to about 1.1 MB per image (at the best setting) and it's sometimes visible in areas whit high colour contrast zoomed to 100%. Don't think I'll ever use anything but the best setting with this cam. I don't understand why, not only Ricoh but also other manufacturers, still set their cameras for too high compression levels. Memory cards are cheap now. I'd have been better to increase the file size with 200-300 KB and produce 100% artifact free image. That said it is not that bad. I didn't see it during my initial test and spotted it later on while looking at an image at100%. During normal viewing it is absolutely impossible to see the JPEG artifacts, moreover they don't appear in every image.
The rest is mostly good. The auto WB has better than average accuracy and there is even a manual option. The metering system performs as good as on any other ultra compact digital camera I've used, i.e. it produces well exposed results most of the time, but needs some help in certain situations. The good thing is that the LCD screen remains usable outdoors even in fairly bright light (not into the sun thogh)and is very good for judjing exposure. Also, the camera offers matrix, center weighted and spot metering options and the exposure compensation is easy to come to via the ADJ button. I was pleasantly surprised by the dynamic range of the R1 as well. Although the images are hold a fairly high contrast, highlights don't burn out as easily as on other digital cameras (for instance Sony DSC-W1).
The internal flash is a bit weak and would not cover the 28 mm properly, which is to be expected, from such a tiny unit. Most of my flash pictures taken indoors needed about +1 to +1.7 stops of exposure compensation to produce good exposure. On the positive side there is less redeye even with the reduction off, and the flash recycling times have been shortened compared to earlier Ricoh models. It is like 3-5 seconds now. Also, the R1 produced marvelous fill flash pictures outdoors. There is still the annoyance that the flash charges every time you turn on the camera, and while this is done you cannot take pictures, so if you want the R1 to start quickly (and this is real quick)turn off the flash before turning it off.
Low light focusing is good thanks to hybrid AF system. It is IMO better than using contrast detection coupled with AF illuminator. The hybrid AF works faster and the AF illuminator often distracts people or at least they are always aware that a picture is to be taken.
Overall, I'm happy with the little R1. There is much more to like than to dislike about this camera. As any other camera it should be used within its limitations. At 28 mm image quality is not the best but it is a great option to have. The difference in coverage between 28 and 35 mm is quite big as is the perspective depth. Some very cool shots can be captured at 28 mm. JPEG artifacts can be seen if you inspect your images carefully at 100% but are otherwize invisible. I don't know if they'll show up on an A4 print, but I doubt that they will be really bothersome. The best thing about this camera is its price. I paid something like 280 Euros in Sweden. In Germany it is even cheaper I believe. That's an amazingly low price for a all metal build, 4 MP ultra compact camera with a 4.8x zoom.

PS: I cannot post full resolution images directly on the site and downsized images are not really good for judjing quality. I can do it if there is an interest though.There are samples at the Ricoh's website, I believe.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 7:00 AM   #10
blr

Here is a sample from the R1. Mind that the image is downsized to about 50% of the original and is also re-compressed. Not very useful for judging image quality but still something. Taken at 28 mm equivalent, auto WB @ ISO100
Attached Images