Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:57 PM   #1

My G3 is 18 months old and recently when I switched it on and flicked the dial to camera mode the lense opened up and locked, and the AF and power lights remained on continuously. I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem.

The service/help center informed me that I would have to ship the camera to Germanyto have repaired, and I am wondering does anyone know a qui9ck ( and cheaper!) fix to my problem
Flanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2005, 2:47 AM   #2

Do you have an error message on the LCD?

Something like
00 00 00
28 01 30

Or similar?
These messages are trouble.

If you dont have an error message,

And your lens barrier opens and the lens extends to the wide position upon switching the camera on, it sounds like a power problem. Maybe your Lith-ion battery is dead and unable to provide enough juice to power up the flash capacitor etc...

snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 4:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. no, I don't have any errors on the LCD, it is obviously a power problem, so I think I'll send it to the support center.

Regards,

Flanman
Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:31 AM   #4

Hello Flanman,

I bought a G3 form Germany 15 months ago. Now I am living in Turkey and I encountered the same problem you described in your post. (both lights are on and the camera is not responding)

I wonder if you have solved your problem. If you had sent the camera to repair, how much did it cost to you? Do you have an advice for me?

Regards,

koksar
koksar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 5:45 PM   #5

Hi Koksar,

as I write the camera is still sitting on my desk in front of me! I hope to sent it this week. I wonder if there is a bad batch of G3s out there. I bought mine over the internet from Nautilus ( France) summer of 2003 and it packed up december 2004. The service contractor will provide a free estimate if you ship the unit to them, they will email a quote to you, the labour charge for repair is €30 plus parts and carriage ( approx €15), so if parts are less than €50 you can probably get it repaired for less than €100. I just been debating whether it is worth it or not. I will keep you informed .

Regards

Flanman
Old Feb 16, 2005, 4:18 AM   #6

Flanman,

A free quote and a fixed labour charge sounds good. There are only two bits that normally break in the camera, the Lens Assembly and the Main Board.

Replacing one or the other for less than 30 Quid is a good price, as the job would take about an hour or more to do.....and technicians are not cheap.

Dont have a clue what is wrong with your camera but only you can decide wether it's worth the money to fix. I'd say yes it is....

snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 2:54 AM   #7

hi,

my caplio g3 is now 19 months old and I got the same symptoms already mentioned (both lights are on and the camera is not responding).

I'd like to hear from you what the cause was for the malfunctioning, how it was solved and how much it costs to repair. It seems to be a general problem with the g3 or at least a serie of g3's so I guess more people are interested.

Thanks,

happyhippo
happyhippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 12:44 PM   #8

Flanman wrote:
Quote:
My G3 is 18 months old and recently when I switched it on and flicked the dial to camera mode the lense opened up and locked, and the AF and power lights remained on continuously. I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem.

The service/help center informed me that I would have to ship the camera to Germanyto have repaired, and I am wondering does anyone know a qui9ck ( and cheaper!) fix to my problem
The same happend with mine camera too.

Same age ,same shit.

Did you use Ni-cd or Ni-MH accu's or normal battery??????

I think it's a problem with the power-supply.

How much did you pay for the repair??
GILBERTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:47 AM   #9

Mine acts the same way since yesterday. I made a picture(with flash) with the batteries already low, after this I replaced the batteries with ones who were empty(nobody is perfect). After putting in fully charged batteries, nothing acts anymore as it did before. When I push power button, lense comes out, and red and green led keep flashing and nothing happens (no LCD-screen either). Switching off is only possible by removing batteries (Ni-Mh). Replacing them again and pushing power button results in lense withdrawing and immediate coming out again and the leds flashing all the time; with this moving lense, I assume the batteries have enough power.

I've tried holding several button-combinations for some seconds, nothing helps…

Connecting it to my PC for pulling off the pictures results in a (PC-)message that the camera is not connected.

Anyone who had it repaired, did you bring/send it to your local photo-shop or to official ricoh-service-centre?

How much did it cost and what was replaced/repaired?

Since I have no guarantee anymore (bought june 2003), I can now as well screw it apart myself to check if I can find some failure. (Capacitor, hopefully a reset-button inside? or something else)

I hope someone has suggestions.
gevanka6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 4:12 PM   #10

Hi,

I have the error as you reported on the LCD.... Any clue what it could be....

The power turns on and off, but the lens wouldn't go in or out anymore (stays out). Review mode is still fine as is microphone and menu. All visual menu options turn into that error....

Hope you can hlep me.:?
Ralphvanaken is offline   Reply With Quote