Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:12 PM   #11

So true Bilcho.

Ricoh's 35mm cameras have been badged as Rollei cameras before.

And their Shotmaster 130 was also rebadged too.

And I second the comments about the 35mm GR1 series.....fantastic cameras.

snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:19 PM   #12

I've had a Ricoh R1 for 6 years. Fabulous little camera for great pix. Even up to news agency standards. Apparently it was so popular when Ricoh decided to discontinue production back in the late '90's, dealers demanded they continue. They did for a few years -before shutting down all film camera production to turn totally to digital.

That they manufacturer for other top brand names, like Rollei is no surprise.

The Rollei DR-5100, quite apart from the optics has one thing going for it very few other 5M pixels cameras have, at any price - a hot shoe for external flash.

This facilitytotally changesphotography when it comes to working inside as the most sophisticated flash systems can be used to give lightingquality to match the camera's digital capabilities.

There's no point to pay $300-500 for a sophisticated digital camera capable of making top quality 8x10 prints when all you have is a popup flash for inside lighting.

The Rollei DR-5100(rebranded Ricoh CapilioGX in the UK) which is reviewed on

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie..._caplio_gx.php

Amazingly where the Ricoh sells for over £190-230, I bought a Rollei DR-5100 for £129.

Sadly where Ricoh seem to be the camera manufactuers' manufacturer, neither they (nor Rollei) know much about mass marketing. Consequently their brand name andproducts are some of the best kept secrets in the camera shop and web stores.

maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 5:50 AM   #13

Max, sadly I have to agree about Ricoh's marketing skills in the photo market. Around 95% of Ricoh's activity is in photocopiers and faxes. Their camera division is a poor cousin and is missing in the biggest market, USA. Go figure?

BTW, the pricing gap between the Rollei and the Ricoh is amazing. It shows how far Rollei have slipped, another name going to the grave soon I'd suggest. Trading on the goodwill of models from the past with OEM from all sources including some very nasty stuff indeed.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 5:52 AM   #14

I'd add that the Ricoh stuff is not nasty, but they have some cameras in their line up that are not premium products.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 4:47 PM   #15

Rollei are dabblers in the 35mm and digital market with a few gems among some dross. Their medium format film camera range however is the only other choice to Hasselblad. Karl Lagerfeld uses their medium format which they have moved into the C21 with a digital back.

Here's a few shots from the Rollei DR-5100 on 50mm with flash bounced verticallyfrom the hotshoe. And 50mm/macro, flash bounced. Maximum jpeg file size. 100ASA

What amazes me- the hotshoe flash DOES NOT work on manual shutter speed settings. Only on AUTO FLASH!!

So if you bounce the big flash, the camera flash is a fill-in up to its effective range. You set the ISO & aperture on camera and flash unit (which is also set on auto) and let the thryistors do the work. And they didn't do a bad job here.

All I can say is if you can't get the Rollei DR5100 at a good price go for the Ricoh GX.

If neither is good enough and you want a small 28-85mm zoom compact then bite the bullet, open your wallet andget a35mm Leica C3

Attached Images

Old Apr 23, 2005, 4:27 AM   #16

Maxpixels,

It is the first time I saw sample of pictures taken w/ Roolei dr 5100 directly come from the user. My first impression is I like the color and look so natural-warmth.

Do you have other samples pictures taken from this camera w/ higher Iso setting (above 400 Iso).

Most pictures submitted by other user taken from its sister (Ricoh Caplio GX) look so grainy and look useless when their settings exceed 1600 Iso.

Did you apply noise reduction and other software base enhancement to these pictures?

Thanks a lot for your kind responds.

Regards,

rtog
rtog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:31 AM   #17

Just got this camera so it is a learning curve, but to give you a better idea of what it can do I have run through the following at maxpixels 2592, fine, sharp JPEG which gives each file size of about 1.7MB or 118 shots on a 256MB card.

Below is the url to access the files as the camera took them.

Starts at 28mm 50mm and 85mm on Auto white Auto ASA

then same lenses for Auto white 100 ASA then 400 ASA

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/maxart/IMAG0046.JPG

to get the next picture just change 46 to 47 and so on to 54.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/maxart/RIMG003.tif is the uncompressed 9.7MB tiff file. taken on Auto white auto asa 50mm. I could only open this file using Micrographics photo suite. Neither Corel not Adobe photoshop 5 would open this TIFF file with error messages showing due to an untagged file etc. This I will be asking Rollei about. Is a knock out if you can open it.

The Rollei software to download from the camera via USB worked a few times then started crashing when I tried download TIFF files. There is no downloads for this on Rollei so I downloaded a driver for the Capilio GX from Ricoh and it seems a later version and works perfectly. Taking the card out and uploading using a USB 2 card reader would be better than using the USB 1 connection.

Hope this helps.

Attached Images

Old Apr 23, 2005, 1:10 PM   #18

this is 1600 ASA 2592 pixels sharpauto white auto asa 50mm
Attached Images

Old Apr 23, 2005, 6:32 PM   #19

Max, at 1600 ISO that's a good result. I'd be happy with that from my point and shoot.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:22 AM   #20

Here's the final judgement - the color card.
Attached Images