Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Feb 23, 2005, 12:32 PM   #11

Hello i'm owner Caplio R1 too. I've bought about a month ago and i've shot some hundreds of photos, in critical light too. I'm happy of the purchase, the macro function is excellent and the wide angle too.

See down

example: time 1/15, flash off, full automatic functions, free hand without tripod

Attached Images

Paolo52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 12:36 PM   #12

example2: time 1 sec. , iso 154, flash off, hand free without tripod
Attached Images

Paolo52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 9:38 PM   #13

The blur in "plasticity" examples is definately not due to camera shake. It's the result of over aggressive NR. NR automatically starts for shots over one second exposure so we 'd better to limit shutter value in order to get a sharp image.

It's really a shame that this would make the 8s shutter meaningless :sad:
chuckmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 1:55 PM   #14

danxxl wrote:
Quote:
3. The last thing that I have noticed while browsing through the EXIFF, that doesn't necessarily have to be a problem with the camera, are some strange ISO settings like 154, 161, 322, 336, apart from the regular 64/100/200/400/800. The camera was in autoISO setting, but I thought it could only choose between the standard values...

This is what my old Caplio RR30 also does. In Auto setting itwill select any number of ISOvalues apart from, and as well as, the selectable settings. It is not a fault of the camera.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:34 PM   #15
gb

I just got a Rollei dr5 which is the same as the Ricoh Caplio R1V - 5 Megapixels and a zoom from 28-138. In general I'm quite happy with the camera since I can take it anywhere in the pocket of my jeans and still have a 4.8 optical zoom ... But with all the good features I noticed at least one bad - JPEG compression ... These people obviously intended to realize a picture counter that tells you how much space remains on the flash. So they can display a number about how many more images will fit on the flash card. This is the most stupid idea of the year ... The size of a JPEG image normally depends on the content. So if you have a given JPEG quality selected, then a noisy image will be much bigger then a image with some plain areas and no noise. When I say 'noise' I also mean content like leaves on a tree or so. Now these people have inverted the process. They are telling you (in the manual), that the JPEG at the best setting you can choose will be about 1.8 Megabytes. And that's what you get !
It does NOT depend on the content. Well, of course if you take a completely black image, then that will be smaller, but normal images get a constant size. There is only one way to do this - images with very rich content are JPEGed with very low quality in order to get the size down. DAMN ... Frankly this is really a big blow. In my opinion this strange way to destroy the images is responible for the horizontal lines and the strange filtering in the images that you uploaded. Otherwise I got good results with the cam. I could also use the 8s nightshot feature by fixing the ISO setting to 100. I got great images without any noise. Of course I had to set the camera on something rigid. I have no idea how to overcome the JPEG problem except patching the firmware. I would appreciate ideas ...
gb is offline   Reply With Quote