Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Feb 5, 2005, 3:27 PM   #1

Hi y'all,

So I got my first Caplio, almost a week ago today, and have been taking photos with it like crazy to see how it works. I'm pretty satisfied with the photos, I'm far from comparing them with my good old SLR that I leave at home most of the time anyway, but the lens, flash,4mp, etc.seem good enough for a pocketable camera Caplio R1 is

There are two/three(:-?) problems with the camera I've noticed so far. And I'd like to know if they're the problems of the very camera I have and if I should get it replaced, or if that's something all Caplio R1's have and I'll just have to get used to it.

1. There's this smudging thing going on on some of the pictures - you'll find attached two examples that I cropped from original photos taken with the camera.

2. The second problem is the plasticity of the pictures taken at long exposure times - I've cropped two more pictures that you'll find attached to the follow-ups to this message. Both pictures were taken with a tripod & 2sec timerat 2-4sec exposure times, ISO 64/100 speed.

3. The last thing that I have noticed while browsing through the EXIFF, that doesn't necessarily have to be a problem with the camera, are some strange ISO settings like 154, 161, 322, 336, apart from the regular 64/100/200/400/800. The camera was in autoISO setting, but I thought it could only choose between the standard values...

Any input will be appreciated,

And if you celebrate the Chinese New Year wherever you are - have a good one

Daniel

PS. I'm sorry if the wordsI used above to describe the problems (smudging/plasticity)are not clear enough, or even confusing,but you'll probably be able to see what I mean in thefiles I'll attach right awayto the follow-ups to this message. Thanks!

danxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2005, 3:30 PM   #2

Smudging example no. 1
Attached Images

Old Feb 5, 2005, 3:36 PM   #3

Smudging example no. 2
Attached Images

Old Feb 5, 2005, 3:38 PM   #4

Plasticity example no.1
Attached Images

Old Feb 5, 2005, 3:39 PM   #5

Plasticity example no.2
Attached Images

Old Feb 5, 2005, 6:47 PM   #6

hi. i'm actually not in a position to provide answers to your questions but i wanted to write to let you know that you're not alone.

i have a problem with blurred pictures, similar to your smudging example #2.

to be fair to the camera/ricoh, it may be a camera shake issue. that is, since it's a small camera, the shots may appear blurry because we're shaking the camera when taking the shot.

in my case, i don't believe that's the reason but i thought i should mention it.

as a test, try setting up a shot and placing your camera on a tripod or flat surface and see if it helps. if so, it would suggest that camera shake may be the reason.

i'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with my shots.

good luck
viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:03 PM   #7

Hi Daniel

I have a Ricoh R1 and have experienced a somewhat similar blurred shot problem as you. I think it has to do with the higher aperture value (F3.3) that the camera has - this means that the shutter has to remain open slightlylonger than normal to get in enough lightduring low-light situations (especially Indoor shots without flash).This means slow shutter speeds, hence more probability of camera shake while shutter is pressed.

Using the flash mode speeds up the shutter speed considerably, and you should be able to get decent shots (But depends on whether you want to use flash in such situations..)

regards

Id
idzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:49 PM   #8

Hey,

Sorry for the not-too-clear explanation of the problem, I didn't mean blurr in the photos - I know that can happen with longer exposure times, but what I meant was the horizontal lines in the photos - if you look closely that's what can be seen in the two "smudging" examples. Do you see what I'm referring to? It kinda looks strange and is quite visible also in some more recent photos I've taken - with/without tripod - that doesn't have any influence on that effect. You just find two bordering areas of high-enough contrast, and then it's pretty easy to find in the darker area.

The other problem, which I referred to as plasticity just seems like some of the funky photoshop filters has been applied to the photo, but again - if you print them at 4x6 you wouldn't probably notice that.

I'm wondering if any other users have had this problem, the second one is only visible if you go to 100% of your shot, not a fit-to-screen version.

Thanks viking and ld,

Waiting for some more input...

Daniel

Old Feb 11, 2005, 5:35 AM   #9

I'm not sure what it is you're talking about. Please remember that the R1, just like most cameras in the same market are just point and shoot models. Your night shots may have found the limits of the camera.

I often wonder if we expect too much from the current range of P&S digital cameras or do the manufacturers hype them up. It was only a few years ago that a decent 35mm P&S camera cost about the same as the R1, but our expectations of the R1 are much higher.

As for the camera shake issue, it would be good if you could get an Electronic Cable Release for the camera to stop the shake. Even when you use a tripod, there's still a problem hitting the shutter.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:49 AM   #10

What I would describe as the "blocky" quality around light sources in your "plasticity" examples, looks to me a bit like heavy JPEG compression. I could be wrong. I think it was blr's R1 review on this forum that mentioned the compression being a bit excessive.

I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be seeing in your "smearing" examples, but after turning up the brightness on my monitor and darkening the room I can see dark horizontal lines going across the full width of the image, on the darker areas. Are those what you mean? There is a phenomenon called CCD smearing that occurs as a result of the way pixels are read from CCD sensors. It's mentioned under FAQs in the Sony P200 manual, they say it's normal. That may be what's happening in your smearing examples, but again I could be wrong!

Dave
davej is offline   Reply With Quote