Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Mar 13, 2005, 1:58 AM   #1

I bought a Caplio RV1 yesterday and have so far been very disapointed by the image quality and bluring.

Indoor photos - In almost all of the photos there are very badhorizontal lines at the bottom of the photo.In adequate light the shutter speed slows down so much that it is hard not to get a blurred picture.

Outdoor photos - All seem to be washed out and the colours don't look natural.

I am particularly concerned about the horizontal lines. Has anyone else seen this before ?

Thanks

croquet man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2005, 4:20 PM   #2

This may sound silly, but have you checked your settings?
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:18 AM   #3

I've gone through them and then reset themback to the defaults. Still having problems with the camera. Am continuing to change settings to get some better results.

For daytime indoor shots of kids with good light, what settings do you change from the default ?
Old Mar 18, 2005, 6:47 PM   #4

After being totally frustrated with the quality of the photos, I took it back and got a Sony DCS W5 instead.

Have taken the exact same test shots and the quality difference is unbelievable. The Ricoh was average outdoors at best and suffered from lots of horizontal lines in the image indoors. The aperture being limited to 3.3 is a factor in making it harder to take indoor shots of children.

I am very happy with the Sony and the image quality is superb. All I expected from a digital camera.

This is the first Sony product of any kind I have ever bought. The build quality and feel is far superior to the Ricoh and most importantly the images are better.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 6:34 AM   #5

I got the same problem with my Caplio R1V, tooblurred photos with strange horizontal lines, specially at the bottom of the picture and more evident with dark subjetcs.

Granulous photos, too...according to me.

Ricoh Support told me the noise is due to an interference ofthe acoustic signal when the photo is taken: to avoid the strange effect, it should be disabled.

Not a nice solution!!

Maybe a firmware update would solve the problem...
scandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 7:59 PM   #6

Perhaps you could post a sample picture of the problem. It might help other people understand what the problem is.

Noise or grain is a problem when the camera uses a high ISO rating. It's the same with 35mm cameras. The higher the ISO film, the more grain. Nothing has changed except film technology has improved so much that 400 ISO film has less grain today and can be used with great confidence.

The digital solution is buy a camera with a bigger CCD. I dont mean more pixels, I mean a physically bigger chip. The more space on the CCD for the pixels, the more sensitive to light they are.

This means the camera will use a lower ISO rating and less grain.

Sometimes you'll get better results if you use a smaller mega-pix camera because the manufacturer uses the same size CCD and the lower pixel camera will produce better images.

Try to find out how big the CCD is in Ricoh's R1 (4 mega) and the R1v (5 mega) if the CCD is the same size, the smaller R1 will be a better camera. The pixels have breathing space on the CCD.

It's one of the reasons people should not get all excited about having the most pixels. It's not about how many you have, it's about how sensitive to light they are...

But in these two cases it sounds like faulty cameras. Take them back for repair/replacement.

Old Mar 22, 2005, 3:01 AM   #7

Here an example of horizontal lines (for the attachment size limitation of 244KB, I cut the original photo). Stripes are quite visible in the bottom.

As soon as my camera is back from repair, I'll try to disable/enable the acoustic "click" to see if the strange effect is really duetothe electromagnetic effect, as I was told by Rocoh Support.

In this case,afirmware update to anticipate/postpone the acoustic signal may solve the problem.

Attached Images

Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:03 AM   #8

Have the problem with my R1v. I turned of the sounds on my camera yesterday by miss take and theline problem seem to have improved. I did not realize until now that there could be a connection between the line problems and the sound. I will take more photos tonight and analyze it in more detail.
Mike -67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 3:02 AM   #9

I've tried to disable the acoustic signal to get round the horizontal lines ...and the thing seems to work. :-)

GOOD !!

At the moment, a firmware upgrade for Caplio R1V (v1.04) is available at Ricoh's website (http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/download/) tofix a display error in "text mode". I don't think I'll upgrade immediately...:roll:

ps: I wonderif other models (Caplio R1 or new R2) have the same interference or not...

Old Apr 22, 2005, 5:54 AM   #10

Error in text mode?

A spelling mistake? Dont laugh, it's happened before and been fixed with firmware updates.