Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Apr 11, 2005, 8:35 AM   #1

I recently bought a Caplio R1 and I am quite happy if it would not be for
the batteries which I have to recharge after only about 30 pictures taken.
No flash. I use new NiMH AA-LR6 Batt. 2400mAh. which is not so bad.
Is this normal behaviour or is there a more serious problem behind as I also
had a problem with my San Disk 256. Rgds Isidor
isidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2005, 1:27 PM   #2

The number of images alone is not a good guide to battery life. The LCD will consume power between shots.

I'd check the battery and charger for faults before the camera. The R1 is not heavy on consumption and the cause is most likely a faulty battery or charger.

Also consider using Ricoh's DB-50 Lith-ion battery for longer battery life.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 2:42 PM   #3

I have a Caplio GX and because it uses the same type of batteries, my observation may apply also to the R1.
First observation: The GX is optimised for the DB-50 Lion battery (I get an 1800 mAh DB-50 for 10€) and not for NiMH. If you don't use power saving mode, NiMH cells quickly exhausted.
Second Observation: The GX has an extremely efficient power savings mode. Good NiMH cells become usable with this mode. You can shoot well over 200 pictures with two NiMH cells in power savings mode. With the DB-50 you can shoot well over a 1000 pictures in power savings mode. This numbers are only correct if you use "good" SD cards. I have two 256 MB SD cards, one from Kingston (the cheaper one) and one from HAMA (probably manufactured by Sandisk). With the terrible Kingston card, the GX needs almost 10 seconds (!!!!) to save a JPEG picture, a raw picture takes half a minute and it costs a lot of power as well. With the HAMA card, fortunately, things are very different. It takes only 1-2 seconds to save a picture and a raw picture about 5 seconds and it is very power efficient. All this applies to the power saving mode, which unfortunately has quite a few quirks. Nevertheless I think that DB-50 + good SD card + power savings mode makes the GX the most power efficient camera I have ever seen.
Unlike other Lion battery the DB-50 is not proprietary for a specific manufacturer. That's why you get a very good battery for a remarkably low price. I can only recommend it.
As far as batteries are concerned, Ricoh should be role model for all the other manufacturers. Unfortunately, in other respects the Ricoh cameras are not as good.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 3:55 PM   #4

Thanks for yr replies. Will try these other batteries as well as this power

saving mode totroubleshoot a bit further.

Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:38 PM   #5

Please check your camera firmware. 1st release R1 cameras had issues with Sandisk cards. Firmware 1.07 and later fixed the bug.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:23 AM   #6
blr

I can take about 300 pictures (power save mode off) on a set of high capacity NiMH cells. Check the cells and charger. If they're OK it appears that the R1 is faulty

blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:42 PM   #7

Thanks blr. There seems to be a fault with the camera as I tried with a new set of batteries and my charger is new.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 6:00 AM   #8

Isi, the batteries were new? The charger is new? The camera is new?

I'd recommend you send the whole lot back for testing under warranty. This problem happens often, if there is a fault in the charger, the batteries will never work and you'll keep blaming the camera. Get the whole lot checked to be sure.

If you send the camera only, the technicians will not find fault and you'll have wasted much time. Send the lot so they can diagnose the problem.

I've seen too many photographers blaming the camera for errors when the issue is a lame charger or corrupt files on the card.

Old Jul 28, 2005, 4:35 AM   #9

I have the same "battery draining" problem with the GX. It hungrily drains up a couple of 2600mAh AA! I found out that it's caused by the autofocus. Taking pictures with autofocus allows about 50 shots, but when the focus is preset to "infinity", I can take about 200 shots!

Rollinux is offline   Reply With Quote