Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:52 PM   #1

Hi,

I am so confuse to choose between these two cameras. Some reviewer gave negatives assessment for Ricoh Caplio GX. Mostly on the issue of generating noise and purple fringing is more than normal (even on low ISO setting at 64). I like this camera w/ main -reason on max wide angle setting at 28 mm, plus possibilities to have add-on lens w / additional accessories (22 mm w/ 0.8 lens adaptor).

I read some threads, both camera are identical in almost aspect except its lens. Unfortunately, review and posted user's comments about Rollei dr 5100 are very rare even almost impossible to find.

I would very appreciate to hear some comments from user of these camera.

Regards,

rtog
rtog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2005, 7:59 AM   #2

rtog,

The Rollei is an OEM made by Ricoh, the lens is the same only the name is changed.

If you like the camera buy the cheaper branded version.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 4:14 AM   #3

Hi rtog,

A review of dr5100 has just been published in May issue of french magazine Chasseur d'Images; it states that it is a rebadged Ricoh GX andthe only differencesbetween the two models are asbetween two samples of a same model.

Ihave been using a Ricoh GX for over four months and am quite happy with it. The time it takes to writefiles into its memory is not a problem for me and I reduce the noise ofsome pictureswith an appropriate software on the PC.
dmau58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 3:28 PM   #4

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=25

Check this discussionin this same forum which has more photos taken by the Rollei DR-5100 includinga color/resolution card. 6x9 inch prints are exceptional.

The macro photo below has been darkened using Corel Photopaint.

The biggest problem withe the Rollei or the Ricoh Capilio GX is finding one to buy.

Maxpixels

maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 3:28 PM   #5

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=25

Check this discussionin this same forum which has more photos taken by the Rollei DR-5100 includinga color/resolution card. 6x9 inch prints are exceptional.

The macro photo below has been darkened using Corel Photopaint.

The biggest problem withe the Rollei or the Ricoh Capilio GX is finding one to buy.

Maxpixels

Attached Images

maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote