Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old May 7, 2005, 11:43 AM   #1

Talk about 'point and shoot' or 'fire and forget', this 5.1 Million pixels digital camera lensis amazing in macro mode -F3.2 at 50mm setting on the 28-85 zoom. The results open up a whole new world of macrophotography for all because when you see the focus cross go green just fire and forget. Or check your image. And if you don't like it, delete and try again.

What you see here was taken with natural light andwas 'auto equalized' using Corel Photo-paint. 6x9 prints will be pin sharp from the JPEG files

TIFF files can be 10MB. JPEG up to 1.8MB

Made by Ricoh for Rollei of Germany, and identical to the RicohCapilio GX they truly excelled themselves with a high spec little gem, with a flash hot shoe into the bargain.

If you can find either brand, buy one!
Attached Images

maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2005, 1:19 AM   #2

Absolutely agreed.

Mine arrived yesterday -£60 cheaper than the Ricoh badged version (in the UK) and an excellent piece of kit.
Terry1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 8:50 PM   #3

What I cannot find is where I go to get the best price on buying a ROLLEI dr 5100. I am sure it is what I need. Where can I go in London to buy one? I am new to the Internet, and would be grateful for any help anyone can offer me. Thanks. Peter Clark.
peter clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 3:06 AM   #4

Peter,

I think you'll need to buy online at www.ukdigital.co.uk . I couldn't find one in London.

They are a "real shop" (although they are "oop North"). If you'r eunsure about buying online, they do do normal telephone mail order and are very nice people (quick delivery and a free pouch casetoo).

Old May 15, 2005, 7:33 AM   #5

Dear Terry1100,

Many thanks for your speedy reply. I shall certainly contact ukdigital. I have found their site and info. most useful.

Yesterday I had seen the digital camera Rollei DR 5100 at a shop in the Tottenham Court Road. I had gone to Central London to shop around, and I had been intending to buy another brand, but the shopkeeper showed me a contrasting pair of photographs he had taken with the Rollei DR 5100. He had repeated the same 2 shots with another digital camera, which I think for the present I had better call Brand X. Both pairs of photos were taken using a tripod. The prints from Brand X were not totally sharp pictures, and they were less wide-angled, (and Brand X was significantly more expensive than the Rollei DR 5100!). I asked why he thought there was this obvious loss in quality, and the shopkeeper said that Brand X used plastic lenses, whereas the Rollei uses glass. So much so that he told me that he is unwilling to sell Brand X any longer. Was this just shop-talk?

I did not buy the Rollei DR 5100 there and then because I had wanted to check out any info. on this camera posted on the web before buying it. What you have pointed me towards is almost £100 cheaper than if I had bought it in the shop.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to be in contact with you by e-mail or by phone if this website allows us to make more direct contact with each other, and if you would be agreeable to that, of course.

I am happy to inform the controller of stevesforums that for my part I am most willing for them to pass on my e-mail address to you.

I have a quite a lot of experience taking photographs, - but I am only just starting out in the digital world. I would love to find someone who I could talk to now and again about my experiences and results.

I am now retired, but in my younger days I took lots of photos on scientific expeditions in the Amazon, Arctic, and Sahara, and on trips to Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, China, Australia, and for many years I was a Documentary and Educational Producer for the BBC, and my work has included making a film with the last man who stood on the Moon.

Does this site allow us to make contact with each other by e-mail?

Once again my sincere thanks, Terry, for you prompt reply.

Yours sincerely, Peter Clark.

PS. If we are allowed to make direct contact stevesforums will not lose out on my experiences since I am quite willing to keep this website posted about my experiences in purchasing, using, and assessing this camera. Why did nobody else, or the literature, ever tell me that Brand X had plastic lenses, and apparently fails to give sharply defined pictures? There is no point in ever increasing numbers of megapixels if the camera-lenses are not giving us sharply defined images.
peter clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 3:59 PM   #6

Peter,

I've sent you a personal message - do not post your e-mail address in a public forum, you'll be awash with spam.

regards

Terry

Old Jun 8, 2005, 9:08 AM   #7

Macro and flash
Attached Images

Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:01 PM   #8

I too have visited the camera shop next to Warren St tube on a number of occasions - and generally find the advice given to be opinionated but right!

They also suggested I buy the Rollei dr 5150, however I must confess I am quite put off by the very lukewarm review on Digital Camera Shopper.

"While the spec sheet suggests a real cracker of a camera, the results are a long way from ideal, often suffering from a great deal of noise and banding. Images taken in poor light in particular, look ugly and unrewarding, as our test shots demonstrate" [I wasn't able to view the said test shots] and "After the revelation that was the Prego DP6300, Rollei disappointingly appear to have gone off the boil with this newest compact. Aside from its wide-angle optics the dr5100 offers little in terms of innovation and even less in picture quality, not to mention the added cost of lenses and memory involved. [Review posted March this year] Av 3 stars out of 5 in all categories.

It is pretty hard to find any other "official" reviews for this camera. Do any owners of the dr 5150 have any comments re the image quality? I am not sure whether to buy this camera or the Canon Powershot S60 or even the Olympus C-7070 WZ.
liz12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:57 AM   #9

How about the latest 8M pixels Ricoh GX8,Digital Camera Shopper reviews?

Ricoh Caplio GX8
Technically the highest resolution compact out there, but do extra megapixels matter? We find out… - 9/6/05

Do those extra pixels count? When you find out please tell us non-subscribers!!

Meanwhile here's the test card results from the Rollei DR-5100. True this model has nothing new, or innovative. But it isof an ergonomicsize you can easily grip and fit AA batteries in. And it has a flash hot shoe.
Attached Images

Old Jun 29, 2005, 12:10 PM   #10

Hello Maxpixels

I am not fussed about new and innovative features, however image quality is important to me. Have you encountered any of the issues that the DCS review complains about?

Some other users seem to have mentioned these issues, but I am not clear about whether they were able to resolve the problems by changing the settings and/or downloading patches or whether it was indeed a fault of the camera.

Thanks
liz12345 is offline   Reply With Quote