Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old May 9, 2005, 4:55 AM   #1

Hi

I'm looking to get myself a Caplio, but which one?

Can anyone offer any advice as to which would be the better option?

Would anyone care to share their experiences of using thes cameras?

any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Si
SunshineSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2005, 7:51 AM   #2

Hi,

I have been using a Caplio GX for about 5 months and am quite happy with it. The zoom is limited to 85 mm (35mm equivalent) but this is not a problem for me : I crop on the PC if required (I don't use the digital zoom). I had once a power supply problem with the Ni-MH rechargeable battries I use, Ricoh told me it would not have occured with a Li-ion battery which would also shorten the file transfer time to SD card. On close-up setting the flash underexposes, but I have not yet tried an external flash, which this camera supports.

If you find the Rollei dr5100 is cheaper, get it : it's the same as Ricoh GX
dmau58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 3:18 AM   #3

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

That;s interesting about the power problems - I was planning totake my camera on my trevels for a year and will be using AA batteries (NiMH ones), sois this likely to cause me a problem?

Does anyone knowit looks like I can get the Caplio R2 for justĀ£40 more than the Rolleidr5100 - do you think it would be worth the extra money (not too fussed about the bigger screen, but theextra zoom wouldbe good)? Are there anyother mods/improvements that the R2 has?

Also,reviews of the R2 are a little thin on the ground - all I find is regurgitated press-releasesfrom Ricoh - can anyone point me to any?

Si
Old May 10, 2005, 5:57 AM   #4

Hi,

The power problem I had is not important when you know what happens : the camerashut off, lens extended, after I took a picture, and every time I pressed the power button, the indicator on the back blinked, the lens moved some millimetres foreward and back, and that was all. I changed the batteries and everything was normal again, except that I could not read the file of the last picture I had takenwhich was lost.

It seems that the battery level indicator is not reliable with Ni-MH. My latest experience: I put a set of batteries which had been recharged over one month earlier, the indicator showed two dots, and now after several pictures taken it shows three dots (the maximum)

I think that you should not have anay problem if you always carry a spare set of batteries
dmau58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 7:28 AM   #5

R1 is the better camera. It only has 4 megapixels on it's CCD. The R1V has 20% more pixels on the same sized CCD.

The R2 is a cheaper version of the R1. It has no viewfinder and cheaper construction, eg, the LCD screen is moulded into the rear cover so if you need to replace the rear cover it will cost more.

My advice, buy the Caplio GX. It is also a 5 MP camera but has a larger CCD so it gives better quality. It seems Rollei are badging Ricoh cameras to call their own.

Not much nice to say about that, but if the Rollei version is cheaper, but that.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 3:41 AM   #6

Cheers Snappy!

Unfortunately the R1 - my orignal choice does not seem to be available (cheaply) here in the UK (not that I can find).

So, I figured that the R2 would be it's successor - with improvements. I've read a few reviews about the R1 complaining about the zoom retraction being clunky, and also that it had poor computer connectivity and software, and poor, plastic, unresponsive buttons etc.I assumed that the R2 had fixed these bits - ie better (less noisey) zoom action, better buttons,and it is recognised as a USB external storage device.

I've also seen a good review of the GX in 'Digital Camera Shopper' magazine (giving it 4 stars), last year, but this April the same magazine slagged off the Rollei DR5100 and only gave it 3 stars! I'm also a bit concerned about it taking a while to write to the storage - does this affect when the next picture can be taken, ie do you have to wait?

Also the R2 has a bigger zoom than the GX, which I was interested in.

Any help would be much appreciated - you never know I might become a Ricoh owner yet!

Si

Old May 12, 2005, 9:08 PM   #7

The GX has a larger CCD. This means the pixels are more sensitive to light and the camera will use a lower ISO rating and give less noise. (In auto mode)

The smaller zoom range on the GX should not be a problem in most cases. If you need to get closer to the subject, use your legs.. If that's not possible I'd be asking if you're using the right tool for the job.

Another point on zoom range...as you zoom in, your aperture gets smaller and the flash might not have the shooting range to hit the subject, the camera raises the ISO and the result suffers.

These point and shoot cameras are good but they try to be everything to everyone, feature rich devices.

Photography is a compromise in many ways ie speed/light, money/quality. There are so many trade offs involved. Sometimes you're better off with a simple camera that has less features, I hear ppl say that their cheaper older cameras produced better images....this is so true... Quality was not compromised by added features.

snappy is offline   Reply With Quote