Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old May 10, 2005, 8:03 AM   #1

Since buying the DR5100 I am experiencing an odd fault on some images only. I always copy from the card to my HD before opening and tweaking in Paint Shop Pro 9

Some (but not all files) give me an error message

"An error has occured while trying to write to the file"

When saving the files.

Closing and reopening the file usually cures this (and doing the adjustments again!). Although logic suggests that this is a problem in PSP, it's only started happening since I changed to the Rollei (Ricoh) from my Dimage.

Camera problem ?, Card Problem ? or is it PSP ?

Has anyone else experienced this ?

cheers

Terry
Terry1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2005, 3:52 PM   #2

I download direct from the SD card using a USB2 reader, then like you use photoshop. The camerasoftware is OK but wastes time.

There has not been any problem opening the JOEG files.

But the uncompressed TIFF files (8-10MB) will not open in either Photoshop 5 or Corel Photopaint due to a missing 'tag'. I have to open them in in Micorgraphics photoshop.

When the file is opened I re-save as a TIFF file, and once 'tagged' those TIFF files can be opened in Photoshop or Corel changed to JPEG whatever.

From the 6x9 prints I've had back from ASDA(using 800Kb jpeg files) made up of the 5M pixels filespasted onto a 6x9 inch 300dpi white 'page', (horizontal so it prints correctly in the 1:1.5 format of the Fuji machine, ) 8x10 prints or larger will be no problem at all.

Finding the Rollei DR-5100 (or the Ricoh GX) seems to be a problem though. KAMERA (bestcameras.co.uk - excellent service by the way) where I bought mine are nowout of stock.And I was told it's discontinued. A friend in the States can't find them either.

It will be interesting to see what's going on with the Rollei badge. Or if Ricoh deliver the 8M pixels Capilio GX8. A camera which will certainly be worth waiting for - at the right price.

Maxpixels

maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 3:24 AM   #3

My Rollei came from UK DIgital (www.ukdigital.co.uk) . They have stock at the moment - also good service. (£139 with a free small case).

I'm experimenting now, I've changed to "normal" compression rather than fine to see if it's a writining to card issue. (I get it at home as wellso it shoudn't be a computer issuedifferent computer same software).

Interestingly, at home I also have PSP7 still installed and that was OK so it may not be a fault as such rather than some kind of incompatibiltiy with the way the GX/DR writes it's JPEGs.

It is clear (to me) that the GX/DR is less good when power starts to reduce so this may be part of the problem - I may try the Li-On option (which I was trying to avoid by buying an AA compatible camera :shock to see if that makes a difference.

I'm guessing that reducing voltage could affect the write to card - having said that I would have thought that it wouldn't open at all, rather than not save. I think it's a slightincomaptibility/bug with the format of the file and PSP (at least)
Old May 11, 2005, 3:31 AM   #4

Deleted

Old May 11, 2005, 10:03 AM   #5

I have a Ricoh GX as well and have no problems opening jpegs or tiffs with the freeware viewer Irfanview. You may then carry out to lossless jpeg transformations like flip vertical twice. Then you get a new jpeg header written by Irfanview, but the Image will not be recompressed, whence no quality loss. The jpeg created by Irfanview hopefully won't creat any problems with Photoshop. Unfortunately Irfanview cannot carry out this operations in batch mode.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 10:48 AM   #6

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately Irfanview cannot carry out this operations in batch mode.
Have you tried Irfanview 'Thumbnails'? That's what I use for batch rotations. It's on the main "File..| Thumbs" menu, I think, under "JPEG lossless transformation of selected thumbs". You'll need to load the free add-on plugins, I think.

Good luck,

Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 3:09 PM   #7

Have you tried using another brand of SD card? It could be the card itself that is causing the writingbottleneck.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I take the maximum jpeg file size every time. About 120 to a 256 MN card and the write time from exposure is still very fast. Only TIFF causes about a30 sec delay.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Maxpixels

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Attached Images

Old May 11, 2005, 4:21 PM   #8

Alan, Maxpixels,

Thanks. I've just downloaded Irfanview (and Thumbnails) and files opened in PSP following a simplelossless transformation (with no changes)in Irfanview.

It'll be a bit like treating the camera jpeg like a RAW (conversion before processing) but at least it works.

I have more SD cards on order from www.7dayshop.com at the moment - that could be the issue - we'll have to see.

Old May 11, 2005, 5:03 PM   #9

www.7dayshop.com is whereI got my SD card too. Great prices. I hope changing the card works.

What concerns me is why TIFF files downloaded from the card don't open in Photoshop 5 or Corel Photopaint. I have to open them first in Micrographics.

Has anyone else had this problem with TIFF files from the dr-5100?

Maxpixels
Old May 15, 2005, 3:13 AM   #10

Some more confirmation that it's a camera/card compatibility issue.

If I take the card out and use it in my Pentax iST DS there are no problems. The new card from www.7dayshop.com("Keymem" branded) is much better - only 2 errors out of 51 images.

If it helps anyone, the card it didn't like was an "Integral" from www.mobile-fun.co.uk

I'm sure I read somewhere that the GX/DR doesn't like cards formatted in another camera - I think I'll keep a Keymem card specifically for the Rollei - I'll only need 1 256Mb.