Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old May 30, 2005, 4:52 PM   #1

I've just ordered the Li-on charger (Energiser) and Energiser battery. I've also bought a fast(er) SD card on eBay.

Oncethey all arrive I'll set up with tripod and stopwatch to see what speeds up what is (really) the only weak spot of the GX/DR.

cheers
Terry1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2005, 1:24 PM   #2

As I say, this is not a scientific test (watching the sweep second hand on my watch, not a stopwatch)

Firstly, it has been suggested that the GX/DR is faster on Li-on than Ni-Mih. This is not my experience it may charge the flash (very) slightly quicker but the write time is no better sothe shot to shot time is not a power issue.

However, it loves the faster card. It's a Kingston Elite Pro (50x 7.7Mb/s) rather than a seriously fast Sandik at 80x or even 133x but I don't know if the camera would benefit from these speeds.

With a normal Kingston card (or a Keymem card) it was taking 8 seconds to write to card and the "writing to card" message came up if you tried too take more pictures too quickly. With the ElitePro itmanaged 3 - 4 seconds consistently over 6 or7 pictures which is good enough for me.

I am now happy that the one downside of the DR5100 is overcome.

Let joy be unconfined :-)

Terry1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:47 AM   #3

Yes the DR5100, (as I've said more than once on this board)never ceases to amaze me. Especially for the money. I see the Ricoh Capilio at on the street at £249. But these must come down soon as the Capilio CX8 8 million pixels is where the line is going.

Must say the write time, except for the uncompressed 10MB TIFF file (20+ sec) I'm seeing about 5-6 sec for the full jpeg. But the 2048pxl quality, easily enough to make excellent 6x9 inch prints is stored in 3-4 seconds.

Recharging the flash is a problem for time - and even startup IF you left the camera on a flash setting when you last turned itoff. I find turning the flash off before you turn the unit off means a very fast start up. Then if you need flash you press the flash button and wait. Will be interesting to see how your new battery recharges the flash on continuous flash use.

For a lot of flash work I would put apowerful flashon the hotshoe and let it do all the work, so the in-camera flash will hardly discharge and be ready to fire again almost immediately - haven't tried this out I must say though.

But for all these little things when it comes down to it this unit has a lens which puts others to shame 4 & 5 times more expensive. And it does deliver the goods.
Attached Images

maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 2:05 PM   #4

I have three SD cards for my Ricoh GX. One 256 MB from Kingston (the orange one i.e. the cheapest), one 256 MB from Hama and very recently a 512 MB from Toshiba. None of the cards is branded as a high speed card. However, the Kingston is extremely slow compared with the other two and it obviously consumes more power too. For an uncompressed picture it takes about 30 seconds (!!!) to save an uncompressed image. I also experience problems with my old card reader (At the time, when the card reader was made, there did only exist MMC cards.)
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote