Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:38 AM   #1

Hi I am a newbie here and just got my Rollei DR5100 for 2 days (Hong Kong Dollar

1680, about USD215). The manual mention a "synchro monitor" power saving mode

wherein the LCD stay OFF until you half press the shutter. I can make the LCD go off

but off it stays -- cannot be turned ON by half-pressing the shutter. Is something

wrong with my unit ?

Also the manual mention AF illuminator but I cannot find any trace of its presence. Are

there some menu setting controlling this ?

I am puzzled and pondering whether to send the unit back or not, can anybody help?

Thanks !!!

soandso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2005, 2:00 PM   #2

I searched the downloadablepdf manual for 'AF illuminator' and those words weren't found.

What section/page do they talk about the illuminator?

One thing the manual doesn't cover, or if it does, I didn't find it, is PHOTOGRAPHY THROUGH WINDOWS. Which is strange. Because you are going to do this some time or other.

As with all AF cameras you should set the AF manually to infinity - and this you do with onthe 5100using themenu.

Manual setting to infinity also means lightning fast firing time when you take sports/action shots. And in very bright conditions so there is a deep depth of field, setting the AF to 'snaps' and the 28 or 35mm zoom settings will have everything in focus from 1.5 meters to infinity - so you never miss a candid photo-op waiting to focus. Just point and shoot.

But remember to RESET to AUTO FOCUS when you finish the session!!

I've left the LCD on for 10 minutes or more waiting for shots. Didn't create problems with battery drain. The more you switch electronics on and off the more likely failure can occur due tovoltage changes. Components like stable voltages.
maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 4:37 PM   #3

Hi

Page 74 of GX manual (french as well as english edition) explains how to set focus on infinity. You don't need to select Manual Focus and then set manually to infibity. Press MENU, then go to FOCUS and there you have a choice of 4 possibilities: Auto Focus, Manual Focus, SNAP (which focuses at 2.5 metres) and infinity symbol .

Of course you should not forget to set back to AF after your session

Regards
dmau58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:31 PM   #4

maxpixels and dmau58-- Thanks for the replies. I found the "synchro monitor" feature by scrollinh through with the "DISP" button. Pretty coolbut I must admit that you are very correct about not switching these things too often. Afterall the manual quoted a only marginal increase in battery life with the "synchro monitor" mode.

As to the "AF illuminator" issue I am sure I have seen it somewhere, could be on Capilo GX webpages. Reason I waht that is because the DR5100 focus badly in low light conditon (in-door and night-time living room), sometimes not able to lock focus, sometimes giving the green cross while obviously out-of-focus. AF illumination would have save the day.

Thanks

so&so
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:48 AM   #5

maxpixels -- I found on P.27 of the English manual mentioning of the "AF

auxilliary lamp" (sorry I wrongly remember that as AF illuminatoe), down towards

the bottom of the page, in the small-print "Note" region, quoted below :

"....when shooting in a dark place, the AF auxilliary lamp may flash to raise the

focussing performance......"

I don't see any light coming from the camera in a dark place, unless it's infra-red.

Do you see any sign of such a feature ?

Best Regards

Old Jun 21, 2005, 4:49 PM   #6

I'm intrigued here. It's not on page 27 of my English version of the GX manual (.pdf) and I'm not aware that my DR5100 has any form of AF illumination
Terry1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:37 PM   #7

Hi Terry1100,

It's on p.27 of the DR5100 English manual, in a section that start talking about

holding the camera and framing the subject, half-pressing etc.

Regards
Old Jun 22, 2005, 7:42 AM   #8

Hi Terry and Soandso,

I just checked the English version (.pdf)of the GX manual. Page 38, at the bottom of the page, it is mentioned in a note that When shooting in a dark place, the AF auxiliary lamp may flash to raise the focusing preformance. If the flash is switched to off, the AF auxiliary lamp does not flash.

Is this AF auxiliary lamp integrated to the flash? I have never noticed it, but my GX never gave me poorly focused pictures in low light.

Regards
dmau58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:17 AM   #9

Perhaps the key to this AF lamp mystery is' IF THE FLASH IS SWITCHED OFF' the AF lamp won't work. So now all we have to do is go in a dark room with the flash on auto, aim at something. press half down and see what happens. There is probably a tiny pre-flash, even less powerful than the 'red eye' pre-flash, so the sensor can focus.

I think I recall now this happened once when I had the flash on (but not on red eye) and I wondered why there was a pre-flash. I guess this was because the focus area was indistinct and needed more light for contrast to focus on.

One thing I will say about autofocus lamps. I recentl;y used a friend's Nikon 35mm in interiors, taking what I hoped would be candid portraits. Film was 400 ASA but that didn't matter because the room light was low andfor certainpixan almost blindingAF illuminator lamp shot crosshatch lines across the room freaking out the subject - and ruining the candid moment. Had to focus manually.

maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:25 AM   #10

I recalled seeing something similar to the "tiny pre-flash" described by maxpixels, but never seen that again.

Regards