Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Aug 6, 2005, 4:02 PM   #1

Hello there, I have had my Caplio for 4 days, pretty happy with it, have not printed any stuff yet, but it looks good so far. There were two issues I was wondering if any of you would know the answer to... 1/ the video is 320x240 pixels, which should be as good as, or better than VHS, but it is FAR worse than VHS, it is really unuseable. The lower res is terrible. It is not very efficient either, a 30 sec clip is about 15MB. Is this bad quality normal for still cameras? 2/ it has an auto ISO mode. When shooting in manual shutter mode in low light and you set the shutter to a high speed like 1/2000th sec, surely the camera should automatically shoot at the highest ISO rating to expose as best as possible? It does not. Thanks, Mark
telemachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2005, 1:32 AM   #2

I have a Caplio GX, which is the predecessor of the GX8. My GX supports [email protected] fps only. I don't use the movie mode of my GX, because I have also a Canon Powershot with an excellent [email protected] fps movie mode. I personally think that 320x240 is very close to VHS. I think you make the crucial mistake that you compare VHS on a soft TV with 320x240 on a brutally sharp PC screen. If you convert your digicam movie to mpeg4 and then play it on a DVD player, then it will look as good as VHS. Unfortunately digicam movies have a lot of noise, which makes high quality mpeg4 compression quite difficult. One has to use Avisynth, which requires advanced knowledge of video processing. Though Avisynth provides filters to "deshake" a tripod is highly recommended to get good mpeg4 compression.
My GX heavily suffers from noise and a lot of purple fringing. Purple fringing seems to have been reduced for the more recent Ricoh R1/R1v/R2 cameras, but noise is reported to be still very bad. The image processor of all Ricoh cameras seem to do a very poor denoising job. With an 8 MP CCD noise becomes even a bigger problem. If Ricoh has not improved there image processor in the mean time, noise must be very awful for the GX8. Besides these two problems I like my GX very much and I would buy a GX8 if they really would have resolved these problems.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 1:08 PM   #3

Hi Kassandro

Thanks for the reply, but you guessed wrong... I am not comparing a computer image to VHS, I am playing back directly to the TV from the camera, and the quality is vastly inferior to TV. It looks like a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a VHS tape!

I just came back from greece and the camera was great, took lovely photos, crisp, well exposed, natural colours etc... I am very pleased with it's still performance, and love having a 28mm-type wide angle lens.

Best regards,
Mark.
telemachus is offline   Reply With Quote