Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Dec 9, 2005, 8:38 AM   #1

i'm looking for a compact digital camera aroud 5-6mp but want the widest lens available without going fish eye, the camera will be used for takeing photos of apartment rooms so enableing full view. If possible around £250 or am i asking for too much?
loquetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2005, 6:52 PM   #2

The Ricoh R1, R1v, R2 and R3 all fit to your description. Unfortunately all these cameras have image quality problems, especially lots of noise even at low iso. In addition my 5 mp Caplio GX suffers from massive purple fringing. On the other hand, the GX is the clearly the best camera from an ergonomical point of view. Altogether I can't recommend Ricoh cameras as long as they can't get noise under control.
As it is phased out, the price of the Nikon Coolpix 8400 has dropped substantially. Thus I bought one last week. It has an excellent 24-85 mm zoom and an 8 mp CCD. This camera is antipodal to my GX. Image quality is excellent, but it is ergonimically very poor if you want to use advanced features. Unlike the GX it also has silly and unneccesary firmware restrictions. The Kodak P850 seems to be another very good wide angle camera also starting at 24mm.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 5:31 AM   #3

:|Thanks Kassandro, i have been looking into the Ricoh R3 but like you say , it has bad reviews on the image side of it. So i will look at the Kodak P850 sounds like its right up my street. Will let you know which camera i choose in the end.

Thanks agian,

Loquetus
loquetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 9:40 AM   #4

Sorry, I did confuse the MP P850, an ultraoom with 35-420 zoom range, with the 8 MP P880 24 mm wideangle. Both seem to be very good cameras. I solely decided to go for the Coolpix 8400, because it has - unlike the P880 - a twistable display. On the other the P880 has wider zoom range and a better movie mode and as far as image quality is concerned both cameras seem to be about equal.
It is really a pitty that Ricoh can't get its image quality problems under control. From its specifications the R3 is perhaps the most innovative camera of the year. It has the same zoom range as the big Powershot Pro1 but at the time it is really a pocket camera. Unfortunately, because of its image quality problems, Ricoh has become a second tier digicam manufacturer and their products are not even reviewed by the major sites.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote