Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:02 AM   #21

I've posted my novice user review on the camera, please if I missed something let me know. I'm new to reviewing, and by no means do I consider myself a pro photography, just an aspiring one.*http://overachiever.multiply.com/reviews/item/1
Over Achiever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 1:51 AM   #22

Hello,

verygood Review. TheBody is not from plastics, but from aluminum. and the LCD is exzellent in the comparison to the R2
heros29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 7:32 AM   #23

Do you have enough room in your pocket for an S80 from canon? It's a bit pricier, and the "long" end is on 100mm, but otherwise it seems pretty good.

I've bailed on the R4 due to the noise issue, and am going to get a Fuji F30. I will miss the shorter wide and longer zoom at times, I'm certain, but image noise really does bother me, and the dark areas of samples I've seen exhibit very little, if any, noise on the F30. I know it has some "watercolor" like effects at the faster ISOs, but it only comes in to play at ISOs which are faster than practically any other compact camera on the market (1600, 3200, maybe a barely disernable amount at 800).

I hope that by the time I'm in the market for me next camera, everyone will have both IS and noiseless ISO800 performance.

Justinian wrote:
Quote:
Overzeetop,
I have the same dilemma as you. I currently own the Canon SD550 and I love it, except that it does not have the wide angle lens I need. I hate to part w/ it and wish Canon would make an ultracompact w/ a wide angle, but in the meantime, I am looking at the Ricoh R4 or the Panasonic FX-01. It seems like a toss up to me at this point, since the R4 doesn't do much better in low light situations than the FX-01. Someone, please correct me if I am wrong about that. The R4 has the advantage of a wide angle, plus 7x zoom. Price-wise it is just a little more expensive than the FX-01.
How r u leaning at this point? Thanks everyone for their threads.
Overzeetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 8:26 AM   #24

I wish this would happen, but with several camera makers already announcing 10 MP cameras using the same small 1/1.8" or 1/2.5" chip, I feel noise will continue to physically be a problem. I'm sure more cameras will employ stronger in-camera noise reduction to combat the problem. And increasing the size of the chip would increase the size of the camera, so the cleaner chips will remain in the larger dSLRs. It's nice what Fuji has done with their CCDs, and combined with aggressive noise reduction has yielded excellent cameras.Overzeetop wrote:
Quote:
I hope that by the time I'm in the market for me next camera, everyone will have both IS and noiseless ISO800 performance.*
Quote:
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:44 AM   #25

Overachiever,
Great job w/ your R4 review. Thanks for sharing that with all of us. It helped alot. Overzeetop, I also looked at the F30, but those xD memory cards are a pain! If Fuji made the F30 with a wide angle lens that could produce the same sharp images the F11 does, I might overlook the xD card issue. So I guess we are in a waiting mode until some camera manufacturer gets wise and produces an ultracompact with a wide angle and without the noise problem. Canon are you listening? Speaking of Canon, I owned the S80 for awhile, but returned it because it was just too heavy and combersome as a take anywhere camera. You can carry it with you, but it is certainly not a pocket camera. The other issue w/ the S80 is that control dial that slips around much too easily and was very annoying. Please alert me if another wide angle ultracompact emerges somewhere on the camera scene. There are hungry wolves waiting to pounce on that - or at least sniff it out! Thanks all.

Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:42 AM   #26

Can the shots taken using the interval setting on this camera be run as a movie? Does the Camera automatically do this?

I'm looking for a time-lapse like capability. I see several reviews that say this camera has time-lapse, implying an image as frequently as every 30 seconds, but the manual (on-line) mentions only the interval capability, not time-lapse.

An interval of 5 sec. is very attractive to me, if it can run as a movie. What I'm trying to get is timelapse of clouds moving across the sky. Some video cameras will allow a 15 sec time lapse interval, buta 15 sec. interval is pretty rough. 5 sec seems about right.
fun21x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 3:48 PM   #27

Thanks for the great review, Over Achiever.

Can you please say a few more words about this bit of your review:
"After taking a picture, it takes 4-5 seconds for the image to be written, which feels slow. However the camera is available to shoot again within two seconds while it is writing to card."

This sounds very odd -- does this mean it takes 5 seconds to review a shot?

Does it mean you normally use the R4 in "no review" mode (if there is such a thing)?

I really want to buy this camera, but I hate to buy it without trying it out in the store.

Thanks again for your review -- it helped a lot.
miffed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 4:02 PM   #28

Ah, I realized my error later, it was due to setting the auto-review setting. Adjusting the auto-review time to 1 second or off minimized that delay. Shot-to-shot time is around one second or less. Sorry about the confusion! As for the interval mode, I don't think there is a way for the camera to export it as a movie. However, there are many programs that can do that for you, just import the set of pictures and set the frame rate to 1/30 or 1/24.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:14 PM   #29

For the record, I have to say that I decided to purchase the Panasonic FX-01 and I am so glad that I did. It is a terrific camera. Noise? What noise? The photos are as sharp, clear and beautiful as any I have ever taken with my Canon SD550 (which I sold today on eBay so I can keep the FX-01)! Image stabilization works great; battery life is excellent; image quality is excellent; the LCD is bright and beautiful; the 28mm is superb and the price was below $300.00 shipped. This gem is a keeper.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:49 PM   #30

Justinian, how's the panasonic so far? Any complaints?

I am in the same dilemma at the moment. Still cannot decide between R4 and FX01. In my place, R4 is actually cheaper than FX01. So on paper, cheaper price plus more function should be a no brainer decision right?

hokc77 is offline   Reply With Quote