Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:26 PM   #41

I spoke with Josh at popflash, who sell the Ricoh.* He was great, by the way.* He suggested that the R4 was a great camera for the money, although he is particular to the Leica CLux1, if money is no object.* He thinks the R5 changes involve a better processor for less noise, a new close up zoom function and one additional megapixel. * *They will have them in two weeks.* "At this point, I am inclined to wait for the new R5 because I want the 7x zoom in* a small camera and I like the option of the 28mm wide angle.**Does anyone know if the video recordings will play on Macs?* They say the format is AV, not quicktime.If anyone wishes to chime in, I am still debating the R5, the Canon SD 700IS and maybe the Leica.Thanks to all who posted here about the Ricoh.* I t is hard to get info about it.
Lenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:33 PM   #42

I am still debating the R5, the Canon SD 700IS and maybe the Leica.

So apparently there are various features that interest you, not just the lens, because the Canon and the Leica are more expensive but don't have a 7x zoom (the Leica at least has the wide angle end, which is rare, but the Canon's lens seems quite average). My main camera is a Canon (a six-year-old Powershot Pro 90 IS, if anyone remembers those - swivel display, 10x zoom, very sturdy), and it has served me very well, so I like Canon. But in this case I was interested in replacing my broken "second camera", which I keep in my bag at all times, so it had to be small, and if I was going to spend more than about $200 for it, it needed to have some sort of distinguishing feature. That's why I said in a previous post that the "R4's lens was calling my name" - that was, to me, a very distinguishing feature that I could get with no increase in size. When it comes time to replace my Pro 90, I will be looking also at other features and will be willing to spend more, and Canon is most likely to have the right mix of features - in fact, the current Canon Powershot S3 IS does, the first camera in a while to combine a swivel display with a big zoom (12x). (By the way, I don't understand why more cameras don't have a swivel display - once you have discovered all the different kinds of shots you can get only if you have it, you'll feel restricted using any camera that doesn't have it!) Anyway, to compare the three cameras you mentioned, we would need to know what other aspects are important to you besides the zoom and the camera size.

Does anyone know if the video recordings will play on Macs?

Yeah, I suspected that you have a Mac, because this forum does not seem to handle Mac carriage returns and double spaces correctly (note the question marks in your posts). I recorded short pieces of test video and test audio (the Ricoh can record pure audio for hours - another feature that pleasantly surprised me) for you, but then realized that the forum won't let me attach those file types. So let me know if you want me to email them to you (your address is in your profile, but I like to ask first before writing).

Thanks to all who posted here about the Ricoh.� It is hard to get info about it.

My guess, judging from the web sites that mention Ricoh, is that Ricoh hasn't been officially exporting to the U.S., which is where the great volumes of info usually come from. I too wished there had been more info out there. But unlike you who are talking long distance to a dealer about a camera you might have never seen, I am in a different position, as an English speaker living in Japan (who can also read Japanese when I need to) - I can walk into any camera shop and see the Ricohs alongside all the other brands, including probably a few other brands you have never seen, as well. In fact, that was the first time I even heard of the R4 - I was just browsing through the store, dizzied by the aisles and aisles of similar cameras by many makers, until a brightly colored sign saying "EXTRA WIDE!" caught my eye - it was referring to the 28mm wide angle aspect of the R4. I was able to compare its basic specs to others, pick up the cameras and try using them, etc., right there in the store, before I even looked for Internet reviews. I guess I'm spoiled, huh!
OsakaShutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:51 PM   #43

Thanks for your thoughtful response.* Please send the videos along. * *i wish I could handle the Ricoh, but it looks like I will have to buy it without seeing it.* Funny, I like the interface of the Nikon the best, but not the limited rang.* I like the size of the Canon SD 700, as well as the viewfinder.* Still, only 4X zoom, no wide angle.* So, I think I will buy the R5 in a few weeks.* how bad can it be?* Seems to me the 7X zoom and the 28mm macro, the new screen resolution and their new claimed better and faster processor, seem like reasons to jump on board.**
Old Sep 23, 2006, 1:18 AM   #44

Lenow: I'm curious, did you decide on a camera?[img]images/emoticons/camera.gif[/img]
OsakaShutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 8:33 AM   #45

Yes I did.* I bought the Sony H5.* I decided that the 3.5 LCD and very visible viewfinder, along with the 12X zoom would serve me best.* The Canon IS3 LCD was just too dark and small and the viewfinder was unusable.* I still might pick up a really small pocket camera* and am waiting for the Canon 800is with the wide angle.**