Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:53 AM   #1

Dear dr5100 users,

I have a problem updateing the Firmware of my Rollei dr5100. I thought the Rollei was a twin sister (or should I say brother) of the Caplio GX. So I tried to Update the firmware with the newest Version of the Caplio GX (1.07). The Update Tool says it couldn't find a camera. There is also a procedure where one has to save the firmware files on a SD Card and do the job incamera (described on www.digitalkamera.de). This won't work either I emailed the Rollei Support Team an the replied that the GX and the dr5100 had different Hardware. Is this correct? Has anyone managed to Update the Firmware of his dr5100?

Cheers

Wolfgang Wolters from Mannheim/Germany
wolfgangw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2006, 3:51 PM   #2

Hey nobody out there with the same problem??

Cheers Wolfgang
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:25 PM   #3

Hi Wolfgang,

Sorry, I no longer have my Rollei (I found the "shot to shot" time too slow, although I loved the camera in every other respect).

My guess here is that the actual firmware modifications would be the same after all they ARE the same camera - but somewhere in the "install" routine it checks the camera name - if it doesn't match it won't go ahead. I guess if you were enough of a boffin to "hack" the actual code you could "find and replace" every reference to the Caplio GX to the DR5100 - but you'd have to use exactly the same terminology.

Do you know what the firmwar eupgrade gives you.

BTW, I wouldn't bother speaking to Ricoh technical either :shock:

whatever you do - good luck.

T

Terry1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 3:59 PM   #4

Hi Terry,

thank you very much for your reply.

I actually thought the same about the software for upgrading the camera. The software
couldn't flash the camera (it says "no camera found"). There is also a procedure where
one can save the firmware to an SD card and flash the firmware in the camera. This
wouldn't work either.
I could see through the firmware file with some hex editor, but I don't want to render
my lovely camera useless (I did this with various PC cards to use it in a Mac, but
I had some masterplan from other users).
I also wrote to RICOH support team, but they didn't answer until now.
The one thing I know about the improvements with the newest firmware ist the correction
of the histogramm display. The RICOH homepage states that there is a false histogram
display in the firmware version indicated by the Rollei. If it is the same camera (and
I guess it is also the same firmware), then the newest version would correct this
(probably other items also). I can live with the firmware version in my dr5100 but
if there would be an easy way to upgrade I would go for it.
The answer from the Rollei support team was a little disapointing. They said the
Caplio GX and the dr5100 would have different hardware. I don't believe this one
because they couldn't tell me the difference.

Greetings from Mannheim

Wolfgang