Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Samsung NX

Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:20 PM   #1

Default Samsung NX10

Pancake 30mm/1:2 - crop 1.5

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2009, 9:43 PM   #2

its abit ugly! and without a mirror or shutter (how the hell does that work?) whats stopping the dust getting onto the sensor when changing lenses?
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 9:53 PM   #3
Super Moderator

interesting. but i am not sure this is going to work.

samsung's name isn't strong enough in photography to do this venture alone.

plus the micro 4/3 system is already quite popular. plus the micro 4/3 system is quite a bit smaller (especially the lenses).

and it doesn't seem to be significantly smaller than the more compact entry level dslrs.

interesting, but i wouldn't put money on it.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 6:27 AM   #4

crop 1:1.57

18-55

Last edited by DonalDuc; Dec 21, 2009 at 6:36 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:52 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Thats an interesting size comparison. It really looks larger than that in some of the press release photos.

If that relationship is accurate, this could get interesting.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:59 PM   #6
Super Moderator

the difference in height is more noticeable
Attached Images

Old Dec 21, 2009, 3:01 PM   #7
Super Moderator

compared to oly 410
Attached Images

Old Dec 21, 2009, 3:38 PM   #8

Hi DonalDuc,

I'm not really interested in this class of camera, but I think there's a market for it, with the large number of shooters who grew up shooting small sensor P&S cams.

Personally, I need an optical VF for the realtime view, but at least the Samsung has an EVF, and doesn't force LV with the back LCD as the only framing option (other than an expensive optional EVF that takes away much of the size advantage of most of the Micro 4/3 bodies.

So purely from a bystander's standpoint, I think it's interesting that the Samsung 30mm/f2 seems to be a bit smaller than the Pan 20mm/f1.7. I would have thought that the u4/3 would be smaller despite the 1/2 stop max aperture difference. Also, from reading, it seems that this camera will use a derivative of the 14.6MP sensor we've seen in the K20 and K-7. It will be interesting to see if the assumed newer generation of this sensor might offer improved IQ qualities over what we have (and no, I'm not knocking the IQ of the K20/K-7 -- I love it! -- but better is better. . .and may have some bearing on yet-to-be-announced new Pentax DSLR models).

I agree with Hards80 that I don't think that Samsung has the photographic credentials to pull this off alone, and I really think that they would need a groundbreaking "feature" like ultra clean very high ISO performance, or a very attractive price point to put a significant dent in the EVIL market, at least outside of Asia. The high ISO performance probably isn't there, as the specs I've seen show ISO range of 100-3200 with 6400 available as an extension, so I'd expect similar performance to the GX20/K20. A markedly improved sensor would probably have allowed them to stretch the range to 12800.

A fully functional (AE and AF) K-mount lens adapter and in-camera shake reduction would be a major plus, but the lack of a screw drive motor in the body makes AF impossible for the great majority of K AF lenses, and the current SDM-capable lens lineup doesn't match this type of body at all. With the single e-dial (rather inconveniently placed behind the shutter button IMO) and the shooting modes, this is an analog to the entry level DSLR, and P&S upgraders probably won't be impressed by a wide range of MF lenses -- and the DSLR user probably won't be overly impressed by the lack of advanced features. . .but you never know. . .

It looks to me like a possible rerun of the VCR format battle with Samsung reprising the Sony/Beta role -- marginally better IQ from a larger sensor will probably not be a differentiating factor.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 3:48 PM   #9
Super Moderator

a logical choice would have been a partnership with Pentax. I believe that would definately help their photographic credentials.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 6:19 PM   #10

An interesting camera, buuuuut without moveable display. Ouch. Tilt. Gone.
I love my G1/GH1 and don't like to change for a NX10.
With 3 adapters I'm using 20 lenses (Konica, Olympus, Panasonic, Canon EOS, ....)

The 14-140 is never reached by Canon or Nikon, they have "poor", but expensive "movie"cameras.