Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Samsung NX

Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:10 PM   #1

Default I ordered a NX100

I just ordered a NX100 from Electronic Expo on Ebay for $309. This is the best price I have seen so far. I wish they would bundle it with the 18-55mm zoom lens which has optical stabilization.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2011, 6:03 PM   #2

There is optical stabilization in the body itself. I am not sure why you would need it in the lens. Both versions of the 18-55mm does have it though.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:30 AM   #3

Based on what I read on the review on the NX100, it says "2 optical image stabilization modes when using OIS lenses". So does it mean that it does not have optical image stabilization if an OIS lens is not used.

On the NX10, the standard lens is the 18-55mm OIS lens. The NX11 comes with the same lens as the NX100 which is the 20-50mm IF lens. There is no mention in the test review or in the manual that OIS is present on the camera body.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 4:41 PM   #4

Ok, I see what you are asking. OIS in the newer lenses with no switch unlike the first 18-55mm. You do, however, have the ability to turn it off or on in using the menu in the body of the NX100. I am able to do this with my firmware updated NX10 as well. There is a newer version of the 18-55mm without the switch as well. I have the second generation 50-200mm with no switch for OIS.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:04 PM   #5

Thanks for your help! I am looking forward to get this camera which will probably be delivered on next Wednesday or so. I also ordered a Nikon to NX adapter and plan to use some of my old Nikon lens on this camera. This camera will be used on my trip to China and Hong Kong in November for outdoor shoots with my Canon XSi for indoor shootings since I have an external flash for that camera.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 1:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIZnquest View Post
There is optical stabilization in the body itself. I am not sure why you would need it in the lens. Both versions of the 18-55mm does have it though.
The NX100 body does not have image stabilization, only certain lenses have OIS. I have the NX100 with the 20-50mm kit lens and no IS in lens or body. I also have the 50-200 iFn lens, and it has OIS built-in, but no switch on lens body to turn it on or off, just in the camera body menus.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 7:32 PM   #7

I stand corrected Dennis. Pardon my error. OIS can be turned on or off and either Mode1 or Mode2. The 20-50mm does not have it built into the lens. The newer 50-200 iFn lens however does. The newer 18-55 iFn does as well and does not have the switch as the 18-55mm lens I have with my NX10.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:31 AM   #8

The camera came this evening. I took some pictures indoors and quality appears to be good even at 800 iso. However, I noticed a hand like icon on the bottom of the screen when I was taking the pictures. Normally on my Sony H2 point and shoot camera, this is an indication that the super steady shot (anti-shake) is on. I understand that there is no image stabilization on the NX100, is this hand like icon a warning sign that the image may be subjected to vibration?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:40 AM   #9

What lens did you have attached? With my 20-50mm attached there is no OIS hand shake icon, since neither body or lens has OIS. With my 50-200 iFn lens attached I will see the OIS icon, and I will be able to access the menu settings of Mode 1 (when shutter button half press or full press only), Mode 2 (continuous/always on), or Off (tripod use).

You might want to download the PDF version of the user manual. There are also firmware updates for the body and various lenses.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/de...mdl_name=NX100

Dennis

Last edited by denncald; Sep 1, 2011 at 8:44 AM.
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:04 PM   #10

The hand icon only appears in low light condition in all modes. It is not there when there is enough light indoors or outdoors. I have only one lens, the 20-50mm iFn. I have yet to find out about the mode 1 and mode 2 settings you mentioned. The 2 spared batteries and charger also came yesterday. I am still waiting for the Nikon F to NX adapter so I can try out my old 55mm F2.8 Micro Nikkor lens.