Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Samsung NX

Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:56 AM   #1

Default Help choosing the right 18-55mm lens for NX100

Hi there,

First time poster and new NX100 buyer here - due to arrive tomorrow.

This will be my first 'proper' camera after many years using compact cameras so I'm a bit new to the concept of interchangeable lenses (lens'?) and wondered if I could ask for a bit of help?

I'm considering replacing the bundled lens (depending on how well it handles low light situations) with an 18-55mm lens with OIS. Looking on ebay (won't link in case I'm breaking any rules) there appears to be two NX compatible lenses available though a Samsung surplus stockist at what seem to be very reasonable prices, but I'm a bit stumped as to which one I should order.

I've tried googling and looking at the user manual but can only see a reference to an '18-55mm lens' being available for the NX100 but no specific model no. etc.

The model no. / description for the two available is as follows:

i) Samsung EX-S1855SB 18-55m F/3.5-5.6 OIS lens -79.99

ii) Samsung 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 OIS MK III lens -119.99

The second lens is 40 more expensive (approx. $60-70 I think) and looking at the pic it appears to support i-Function, which I don't think the S1855SB has.

Is anyone able to confirm that both are compatabile the NX100 (I think they can) and if the OIS function will work properly? Is there any compelling reason to buy the more expensive of the two (on lens control of aperture etc.?) or would the cheaper one work well enough?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Mark

Last edited by jellofund; Sep 17, 2012 at 5:21 PM.
jellofund is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2012, 3:23 PM   #2

Managed to find some lenses on Samsung's US site.

From what I can tell there are 3 18-55mm lenses. Model no's as follows:

S1855SB (the cheaper one I saw)
S1855IB (presumably the more expensive one with I-function)
S1855CSB (??)

Under the product page is shows the IB as being a compatable accessory but no mention of the other two. I'm not sure if the SB isn't listed because it lacks the i-function or if it simply won't work with the NX100.

I'm also toying with the idea of a pancake lens. Would this be a good option when I'm out and about (less space etc.) and is the 20mm or 30mm a better option assuming prices are in the same ballpark?

Thanks again!

Last edited by jellofund; Sep 17, 2012 at 5:26 PM. Reason: edit: pop up blocker was messing with Samsung's website causing probs when checking compatability
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:56 AM   #3

If you are replacing the non-OIS standard kit lens, you pretty have go with the OIS version which is the one shipped with the NX200. I am aware of a third option unless it is older one which came with the NX10 (Pentax mount). For the NX mount, there is only 2 choice and only one has OIS. The OIS lens has a list price of $249 USD. Mine is a used one which I bought from amazon.com for $147.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 4:10 AM   #4

Thanks very much for the reply.

I received a reply back from the seller who advises that both lenses are compatible with the NX100 and both support i-function & OIS. Supposedly both are identical except that the newer / more expensive of the two has a metal mount whereas the other uses plastic.

I did manage to find a checker on the Samsung UK website and it says both are guaranteed to work with the NX100 so hopefully okay. I'll probably pick up the cheaper one and if I have any issues return it within the 7 day cooling off period for a refund. The cash saved could also help fund a pancake lense.

Thanks again,
Mark

Last edited by jellofund; Sep 18, 2012 at 4:13 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKSer View Post
If you are replacing the non-OIS standard kit lens, you pretty have go with the OIS version which is the one shipped with the NX200. I am aware of a third option unless it is older one which came with the NX10 (Pentax mount). For the NX mount, there is only 2 choice and only one has OIS. The OIS lens has a list price of $249 USD. Mine is a used one which I bought from amazon.com for $147.
BOTH 1855 (with or without i-Func) have OIS. NX10 was delivered with first 1855 (with OIS, but without i-Func).
NXxx have no Pentax mount, they have NX mount.

All lenses for NX10/... of course also fit (with full functions) NX100

My "old" 1855 without i-Func - delivered with NX10 (kit lens)

1855 version1 (€ 111) and version2 (€ 136) both i-Func, plastic mount

Last edited by DonalDuc; Sep 18, 2012 at 8:10 AM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:53 AM   #6

I really appreciate you taking the time to post up the pics and info re. the different versions available DonalDuc.

In the message I received today the seller did confirm the cheaper one was the version 1 so looks a good deal at roughly €100. I've decided to go for one.

Do you think it makes sense to keep the 20-50mm kit lens - are there situations where it's a better choice etc.?

Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited by jellofund; Sep 18, 2012 at 8:58 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:27 AM   #7

20-50 is "smaller" - if this is important for you.

20-50mm is a nice lens, I have it too, also tele 50-200 - with OIS, but cheaper version without i-Func ... € 163 - even less expensive then 20-50 (without OIS, but i-Func.)
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 3:11 PM   #8

I wouldn't mind a small lens for when I'm out and about. Although the 30mm pancake looks like it would be good for that purpose.

Even if I go for the 30mm lens I think I'll probably just keep a hold of the 20-50mm anyway as there may be situations I'll want to use it, as my understanding of things improves. I probably wouldn't get much for it anyway as they're available new on ebay / Amazon marketplace for approx. 50 (€60ish).

The 50-200 tele lens looks great and I would love one for distant shots etc. Unfortunately they're quite pricey so I can probably only afford either the 30mm pancake or the tele but not both, although the latter is a wee bit over my budget. Think I need to spend a bit of time with the camera and then decide whichI think I'll get more use from.

It didn't turn up today but the tracking shows it'll be delivered tomorrow. Have to say I'm really looking forward to having a play around with it and over time improve my understanding of how to take and compose decent photos, rather than just relying on 'auto' and hoping for the best. I have to say that some of the shots taken by some of the members here are pretty incredible looking.

Last edited by jellofund; Sep 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM.