Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:30 PM   #1

I was wondering if anyone has found any Video Editing software thats accepts the avi format that this camera creates? So far the only one I've found is the Nerovision Express (2.1.2.24) software that came with my Nero bundle. I tried a few others, but they don't understand the format that avi files are in.

I'd like something faster, especially for the transcoding to MPEG2 for DVD burning. A fast utility for converting the files to MPEG2 or WMV would also be nice. The codecs included let Windows Media Player play the files, but Windows Movie Maker still won't import them.
joelupchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2006, 9:47 PM   #2

i have tried several editor, this is the best
MPEG Video Wizard DVD
k1mch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 6:56 AM   #3

I checked the feature list and it looks like it can export Mpeg-4, but it doesn't mention importing Mpeg-4.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:20 PM   #4

Hi there,

Try this freeware called MP4CAM2AVI:

http://mp4cam2avi.sourceforge.net/

It converts all types of MPEG-4 video (such as MJPEG, MOV, MP4), made by the video mode of modern digital cameras, into an AVI format which can be played by Windows Media Player (and many other video players) with the DIVX/ XVID codec. The author of MP4CAM2AVI recommends DIVX codec, but I suggest XVID codec which is totally commercial-free:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Koepi_XviD.htm

After installing the XVID codec and converting the Samsung's video to AVI, you can use most video editing softwares (including M$ Windows Movie Maker)
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 4:03 PM   #5

Thanks, I downloaded MP4CAM2AVI as you suggested and it works fine. After converting the files Windows Movie Maker imports them okay and I can write them out as wmv files without a problem.

As a bonus, I have a Philips DVP642 DVD player that supports MPEG4 playback. When using the files directly from the camera and burning them on a CD-R, it would play back the video, but not the audio. When I reencoded them to Lame3 with MP4CAM2AVI they had audio with a bad stutter. When I set the program to reencode the audio at 24hz and burned it to a DVD+R instead of a CD-R it plays back correctly. It looks like the DVP642 doesn't like the 44kbps encoding rate t