Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:39 PM   #1

I was happy with the output from my S800 until I bought an Olympus SP350. They are both 8mp, and I use the S800 in a model helicopter, and the SP350 (with Olympus 0.7 wide converter lens)up a 30 foot pole, both controlled by radio.

There are no vibration issues, and I see the same poor results even in manual ground tests. Is there any way to improve clarity in infinity shots, or is this as good as it can get?

I have posted a couple of cropped full-resultion shots for comparison..
Attached Images

TonyStott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:40 PM   #2

Here is the same subject from the SP350
Attached Images

Old Dec 2, 2006, 1:11 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
here are no vibration issues, and I see the same poor results even in manual ground tests.
Are you getting a focus lock (steady green led) when you half press the shutter button with your tests on the ground?

Have you tried using something other than f/7.1? I see you used manual exposure for that one. With some cameras, you can begin to see softness from diffraction using small apertures with lenses this tiny. I'd try it with the aperture wide open and see what you get.

That does look pretty soft though. If focus locks OK and the images are still that soft even at faster shutter speeds, I'd guess that it's defective or suffered impact damage (lens element knocked out of alignment, etc.). Did the camera take a drop? Most cameras don't take kindly to impacts.

You should be getting much sharper photos from that camera, as you can see from our sample images page:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...0_samples.html

If focus is not locking, you may want to try some of the scene modes. With some cameras, some scene modes can set focus to infinity.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 2:23 AM   #4

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
here are no vibration issues, and I see the same poor results even in manual ground tests.
Are you getting a focus lock (steady green led) when you half press the shutter button with your tests on the ground?

Have you tried using something other than f/7.1? I see you used manual exposure for that one. With some cameras, you can begin to see softness from diffraction using small apertures with lenses this tiny. I'd try it with the aperture wide open and see what you get.

That does look pretty soft though. If focus locks OK and the images are still that soft even at faster shutter speeds, I'd guess that it's defective or suffered impact damage (lens element knocked out of alignment, etc.). Did the camera take a drop? Most cameras don't take kindly to impacts.

You should be getting much sharper photos from that camera, as you can see from our sample images page:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...0_samples.html

If focus is not locking, you may want to try some of the scene modes. With some cameras, some scene modes can set focus to infinity.
Thanks Jim. No impacts on the camera (despite its location in a small heli!). I will try with the aperture open and get back to you on the results.

BTW the camera is not the same as the one used for those samples. I have attached a pic of it in the mount.

Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2006, 8:53 AM   #5

Jim, Here is a reduced size pic taken the same day at 1/1000 and F2.8 which seems fine. I think I just need to play with the camera some more
Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2006, 8:58 AM   #6
Administrator

I wouldn't expect there to be that much difference between f/2.8 and f/7.1 from a sharpness perspective, if diffraction at smaller apertures was the cause. That first photo was soft enough that I'd expect a lens defect *if* blur from shutter speeds being too slow wasn't the problem, or you didn't have a good focus lock.

But, you never know. You'd need to test it in more controlled conditions to tell (i.e., stationary camera and subject). You could be looking at a shutter speed issue if the camera is mounted on a helicopter (although I did notice your comment that you didn't think vibration was the issue). I have no experience trying that. lol

You'll get much faster shutter speeds at wider apertures, reducing the chance of blur from camera shake/movement.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote