Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old May 25, 2007, 4:25 PM   #1

Hi there,

CNET has just reviewed the Samsung Digimax S850. check it out at the following link:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...2779.html?ar=o

It says, "As one of the least expensive cameras with manual exposure controls out there, the Samsung S850 is a great choice for photography newbies."

CNET reviewed the S850 assuming that it is priced at "less than $250" and was satisfied with its features.

However, I recently purchased the S850 for $184. At this rate, CNET should be more than satisfied with the S850.

Wonder when steves-digicams will feel the need to review the S850. Or will it?

Regards,

Melvyn
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2007, 1:36 AM   #2

Yet they make no mention whatsoever of it's mpeg4 movie mode. This is no longer a novelty feature on digital cameras so there is no excuse now for them not to include it in their review. That is one feature I always liked about stevesdigicams is that he always fully reviews the movie mode of cameras.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 4:07 AM   #3

"That is one feature I always liked about stevesdigicams is that he always fully reviews the movie mode of cameras."

Hi rgvcam,

True and I too like stevesdigicams reviews. But it is indeed strange that there has been no review of the S850 till now. Samsun cameras seem to be getting a raw deal from digicam websites, even though they happen to be the fifth largest digital camera seller in the world.

misquitas

Old May 27, 2007, 11:25 PM   #4

5th out of 5 is close to last (most smaller operations use larger players to build their rebadged camers). Like the Samsung DSLR is a rebadged Pentax......

Also, a camera mfgr needs to be a relatively large player to afford to put cameras into reviewers hands.
Old May 28, 2007, 3:48 AM   #5

5th out of 5 is close to last (most smaller operations use larger players to build their rebadged camers). Like the Samsung DSLR is a rebadged Pentax......

Also, a camera mfgr needs to be a relatively large player to afford to put cameras into reviewers hands.

-------------------------------------------

Quite true, Kalypso, being fifth out of "five" doesn't seem much to rave about. But consider the fact that Samsung (7.8% market share) displaced Nikon and is closely behind Olympus (8.6% market share). Also,Samsung moved -- or should I sayleapt -- from ninth place to fifth place within one year.

I must admit that being a novice in digital cameras and photography, I wouldn't know if Samsung has "borrowed" from Pentax. But with Pentax nowhere in the first five highest sellers ofdigital cameras, Pentax could, maybe,start "borrowing" features from "larger players" like Samsung.

Samsung certainly seems to be a "relatively large player" for customers to put Samsung cameras into their hands. I wonder though if reviewers feel that the "relatively large player" statusis directly proportional tothe number of customers. If that were the case, Samsung should now figure more prominently than Nikon.

Regards,

Misquitas