Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old Jun 13, 2007, 4:13 AM   #1

Hi there,

I need some advise on the movie clip features on the digital camera. I recently purchased the Samsung S850 and this camera offers movie clips upto 800x592 but at only 20fps. It also has allows movie clips at 640x480 but at 30 fps.

Now, I would like to know which movie clip would record better -- 800x592 @20fps or 640x480 @30 fps. To an untrained eye, it is not easy to spot the difference in the two formats and hence, I wanted some advice in the matter.

Many thanks.

misquitas
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2007, 8:22 PM   #2

misquitas wrote:
Quote:
Hi there,

I need some advise on the movie clip features on the digital camera. I recently purchased the Samsung S850 and this camera offers movie clips upto 800x592 but at only 20fps. It also has allows movie clips at 640x480 but at 30 fps.

Now, I would like to know which movie clip would record better -- 800x592 @20fps or 640x480 @30 fps. To an untrained eye, it is not easy to spot the difference in the two formats and hence, I wanted some advice in the matter.

Many thanks.

misquitas
Any eye will notice a difference between 20FPS and 30FPS. A 20FPS video will look much more "Laggy" and will look far less smooth then a 30FPS video when being played.. On the other hand, videos would look more sharp and be psychically larger at 800x592. Its more of a personal preference and there is no definitive answer to which is superior. But its really up to you. Your the one who has to live with it .
yensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 5:55 AM   #3

Hello

I think the answer depends on what you are going to display on.

For a TV you have to use 30fps otherwise the result will be very juddery.

Most of the world uses 25fps TV but the camera doesn't offer that. If I set the output to PAL to match my TV the picture judders badly. Fortunately my TV will handle NTSC via its composite inputs. With the camera set to NTSC, then
30fps looks just as good as the broadcast stations.

If you are viewing on a PC with an LCD screen then 20 or 30fps are OK because they are both divisible into the 60fps that current LCDs use. But LCDs may change in future.

Cinema films use 24fps so 20 fps is only 20% worse than that.

I expect that the 800*600 mode is better if you want to capture a single frame and print it. I bought a 4gB card from 7dayshop for £15 which can do 3 hours of video. So rather than trying to capture a specific event you can just leave the camera running until the battery goes flat...

Thats why I am looking into powering the camera via its 3.3v DC input
c1-dbr is offline   Reply With Quote