Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old Feb 11, 2009, 9:41 PM   #31

"auto" is not a good idea if it is dark - every pocket camera goes down if there are 640 ISO or 800 ISO
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 4:57 AM   #32

jacko1970s wrote:
Quote:
thankyou the first pic is quite noisey in the black areas
As I said the images are unedited and straight from the camera. You can remove some noise with software like ACDSee Photo nowadays though

And to be complete, here are 12 more photo's shot in low light using the Auto Mode and Night Shot mode.

If you have any particular requests as far as settings go let me know

http://www.megaupload.com/nl/?d=8NFBG8UK
PalmBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 5:23 AM   #33

DonalDuc wrote:
Quote:
"auto" is not a good idea if it is dark - every pocket camera goes down if there are 640 ISO or 800 ISO
Can you perhaps help me out the by sharing some general setting tips for using the manual mode for these situations? I started a seperate thread with similar questions which I had so perhaps you can reply there.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=26

Many thanks in advance...

Oh.. and anyone know how to changethis thread's title?
Old Feb 12, 2009, 6:09 AM   #34

I am using 80/100/200 ISO, seldom 400 ISO.

Samsung has a fine stabilisation, excellent is DualIS, a double picture feature, which I found at no other camera.

For long shutter times use a tripod/monopod or endorse the camera to a suitable underground
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 7:22 PM   #35

My hopes of a 2/12 US release were unfortuntately wishful thinking. My order sits ina backorder status awaiting filling. I did email Samsung today to ask if they had anything further as far as an expected date for this camera. As you can tell, I'm getting impatient, even seeing if there was any way I could get a WB.

I like the reasonable compactness factor, combined with a decent lens, and video that should be very workable. Last night, Iresorted to pickingthrough other camera models to try to come up with a "plan B" just in case, but I don't like the alternatives:

The obvious one, the TZ5 just seems like it will let me down with its poor quality audio on the video, as well as its erratic focus on same. The MOV format is a disappointment as well.

The Fuji S2000HD would seem to do nearly all that the HZ10W can do except stereo audio, and with a 15X zoom at that. I'd lose the compactness though. I picked this camera up in the store recently, and was only lukewarm to it, testing a video that I found jerky (though it was dim in the store).

The Kodak Z1015 gets good ratings, but I'm a little leery after my last Kodak. Just like the Fuji though, I'd lose the compactness, and would be also be stuck on MOV files.

Finally, the Sony T500 has stereo MP4 video that people raved about, and in my glances, it looked damned good. Caveats - just a 5X zoom and abysmal photo quality looking at samples. Also reviews crow about poor battery life. Besides, my SDHC cards have already shipped, and this camera uses the Sony Pro format.
Transit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 3:37 AM   #36

Transit29 wrote:
Quote:
My hopes of a 2/12 US release were unfortuntately wishful thinking. My order sits ina backorder status awaiting filling. I did email Samsung today to ask if they had anything further as far as an expected date for this camera. As you can tell, I'm getting impatient, even seeing if there was any way I could get a WB.

I like the reasonable compactness factor, combined with a decent lens, and video that should be very workable. Last night, Iresorted to pickingthrough other camera models to try to come up with a "plan B" just in case, but I don't like the alternatives:

The obvious one, the TZ5 just seems like it will let me down with its poor quality audio on the video, as well as its erratic focus on same. The MOV format is a disappointment as well.

The Fuji S2000HD would seem to do nearly all that the HZ10W can do except stereo audio, and with a 15X zoom at that. I'd lose the compactness though. I picked this camera up in the store recently, and was only lukewarm to it, testing a video that I found jerky (though it was dim in the store).

The Kodak Z1015 gets good ratings, but I'm a little leery after my last Kodak. Just like the Fuji though, I'd lose the compactness, and would be also be stuck on MOV files.

Finally, the Sony T500 has stereo MP4 video that people raved about, and in my glances, it looked damned good. Caveats - just a 5X zoom and abysmal photo quality looking at samples. Also reviews crow about poor battery life. Besides, my SDHC cards have already shipped, and this camera uses the Sony Pro format.
I went through the exact same thing and came to the same conclusion actually Both the Fuji and Kodak were out of the window for me as the compactness factor was a MUST for me. I needed a camera which I could fit into my jeans pocket this summer if I needed to so I wouldn't be forced to drag along a seperate camera bag. Also, I want to use the camera for going to concerts and sports events where filming isn't allowed and I can smuggle the WB500 WAY more easily with me then the alternatives. If you check out the video I shot at the Hockey Match then you can see the WB500 is MORE then capable enough and is still small enough to be smuggled in easily

The MOV format is also a NoGo for me as I wanted to be able to view the movies directly on my HD TV through my Xbox 360 without editing. And the T500, The Memory Stick format sucks because its WAY too expensive (I bought a 16GB SDHC Scandisk Extreme II card for just over €40, the same in Memory stick format would be 3 times as much) and the 5X zoom just isn't enough for me.

Good luck in any case on your hunt / waiting game...
Old Feb 13, 2009, 6:07 AM   #37

Fortunately, I did get a quick response from Samsung.

Unfortunately, it left me a bit more skeptical than before, though it may simply be that the technical team hasn't a clue what's going on with the marketing team:

Thank you for choosing email support by Samsung.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to accomodate you with that request.
If you would like to speak with a live Customer Service Representative, please call 1-800 SAMSUNG (726-7864).

We hope this information will help you to thoroughly enjoy your Samsung Product.

If you are in need of further support, please contact us at:
1-800-SAMSUNG
1-800-726-7864

Warmest regards,

Samsung Tech Support
Email Division

Just like you PalmBeer, video is VERY important to me. I tend to film a lot of hobby footage of city transit: buses and trams, and walking around with what is clearly a camcorder is several times more "suspect" than using the video function on the digital still camera.

I did see what getting a T500 with 2 4GB memory sticks and 2 backup batteries would run me - it's $USD 475 total for the Sony vs. $USD 315 for the Samsung with the same amount of memory on a single card. I'm thinking I'll give this baby about 2 more weeks to get released. I leave on my trip on March 23rd.

Old Feb 13, 2009, 2:32 PM   #38

I googled for you but only found merchants shipping to a lot of countries in Europe, saddly none shipping to the US.

I could ofcourse buy one for you and then ship it to you if you trust me on this. But to be honest I wouldn't send money to someone I never met to buy me something either, but the offer stands anyway

In any case, if I come across it somewhere I'll let U know !
Old Feb 13, 2009, 9:40 PM   #39

PalmBeer wrote:
Quote:
I googled for you but only found merchants shipping to a lot of countries in Europe, saddly none shipping to the US.

I could ofcourse buy one for you and then ship it to you if you trust me on this. But to be honest I wouldn't send money to someone I never met to buy me something either, but the offer stands anyway

In any case, if I come across it somewhere I'll let U know !

Good News,

I found a plan B:

http://www.topfoto-online.de/item.ph...lrpeujgpcja6g6

They DO ship to the US. Cost would be about 292 Euros.

Old Feb 14, 2009, 4:39 AM   #40

Transit29 wrote:
Quote:
Good News,

I found a plan B:

http://www.topfoto-online.de/item.ph...lrpeujgpcja6g6

They DO ship to the US. Cost would be about 292 Euros.
You're right, and you can also opt to pay upon receiving your package. Although the availability states you need to call them to find out when they can ship the WB500. Have you informed about that yet?