Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:35 AM   #51

palmbeer do you have any lower light video samples? can't seem to find many online.

i would think it would be better then the t500 just based off the aperture alone but would like to see samples
kickace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 8:22 AM   #52

low light video WB500 - 20 mb, original

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RQV2X47A
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:33 PM   #53

got another of any kind? i only ask because of course it has noise but doesn't look bad at all- but hard to really grade with it just in one spot, no zooming - not many people, etc.

thanks though!
kickace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 4:11 PM   #54

Hey all,
I just bought the samsung wb500, you can check out some pictures and videos here : http://pierre.nogues.free.fr/wb500En.php

Overall I'm happy with it. But sometimes I have some concerns with wide angle, corners or pictures sides may be blurred, almost distorted. Battery has a pretty short life too (2 hours with extensive use). But telephoto is great, pictures are sharp thanks to the excellent IS. Manual exposure is the compulsory feature for night or low light shots, as you can see in the cathedral, stained glass windows look great, I avoided bumping up the iso ratings.

If anybody has also some concerns with wide angle, I'd like to know if there is something we can do.

3.14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 9:32 PM   #55

Interesting reading to be sure.

I've had the T500 for a little over a week now, and only had a couple instances to really fiddle with it thanks to work taking up my time. So far though, I do feel it's a keeper for me, since the vast majority of my video work is in daylight and it excels in that regard. The MP4 format, good quality stereo sound, and compact form factor make it ideal for me to take on the go. Plus, I've gotten spoiled at having no zoom noise present in video. For my purposes, it's the ideal "hybrid" camera for the moment.

Thanks for posting your samples of the WB500, "pi r." While the photos look nice, I do see where the iq, particularly at the corners looks very soft when viewed full size. I was considering still getting the HZ10W, but I think I'll wait to see what the year brings.

Kickace, thanks for your very indepth roundup of the cameras you've tried out. You make a number of excellent points about sensor size and aperture. To this day, my best low light digital point and shoot has always been my 2001 vintage Casio QV3000EX (f/2.0 lens)which interestingly, has always yielded nicer color than my subsquent Canon S1, Kodak Z1275, and this Sony T500. I would love to have a more capable version of this camera with the same fast lens. The Panasonic LX3 comes close, though an upgraded model that offers stereo sound, selectable 30fps HD video (while keeping the "cinematic" 24fps, and zooming while filmingvideo would be essential. A slightly longer (maybe 4X) zoom would be nice, but only without a loss of max. aperture.

Thanks to all for the discussion and contributions. I'm glad to know I'm certainly not the only one looking for the best of both worlds in a single camera type body!
Transit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:50 PM   #56

hey palmbeer,

receiving my WB500 tomorrow...can you recommend a case for it?

there doesn't seem to be a specifically-sized samsung case. not that I can find on google, at least

what do you use?
RJG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:32 PM   #57

RJG123 wrote:
Quote:
hey palmbeer,

receiving my WB500 tomorrow...can you recommend a case for it?

there doesn't seem to be a specifically-sized samsung case. not that I can find on google, at least

what do you use?
I have also plunged for WB500. It came with a Samsung case. But any case (there are 100s) that fits will do. You just choose your preferred material.

Some like soft, foam, some like hard, leather etc.

It is just down to personal taste.
celsius2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 12:03 PM   #58

yeah, mine didn't come w/ a case

just looking for a snug-fitting, leather case. do you know what the model number of yours is?

suppose I'll just have to take it around some stores and find something - was hoping for a specially-sized samsung one
RJG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 2:55 PM   #59

Soft, fits!

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:26 PM   #60

RJG123 wrote:
Quote:
yeah, mine didn't come w/ a case

just looking for a snug-fitting, leather case. do you know what the model number of yours is?

suppose I'll just have to take it around some stores and find something - was hoping for a specially-sized samsung one
Mine is a soft foam case with Samsung written on it, no big deal, snug fit.

Taking it to the store and find one that fit is the right way to do it. There is no need for any specially made, as it has a "normal" form factor.
celsius2 is offline   Reply With Quote