Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:46 AM   #61

Having played with it for a couple of days. My first impression is very disappointed, particularly with the focusing which made me wonder whether my unit is faulty.

Setting: P, Centre Focus.

9 times out of 10 it would not focus if the subject is less than 1.5m away at the long end of the focal range, especially if the background is dominantly light/white. It would only focus if put in macro mode. Even in mcaro mode, it would not focus if the subject is around 0.5m or even beyond. When it does manage to foucs (green light), it is not in focus. It is, however, foucing OK at the wide end.

In Movie mode, again at the long end of the focal length, when the view is brought back from a far object to near (2 metre), it would not refoucs if the focal length remains the same. Only when it is zoomed up/down again then it would refocus. It is more or less the same even at wide end of the zoom.

Any one else is experiencing the same? or is it normal? or is my unit faulty?

celsius2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 2:33 AM   #62

I have just looked through detailed information on WB500 again.

Aparently, the focusing "abnormality" is normal.

Focusing range: from 50cm at wide, 1m-2m at tele end.

Macro: 5cm at wide, 1m at tele.

I am not happy with that.

I now set my eye on Panasonic TZ7 when it is available.

celsius2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 8:40 AM   #63

I haven't had any problems with the focussing issue described to be honest.
Perhaps the right situation for this just hasnĀ“t come by yet

As for the case, I bought a generic non branded one which fits my WB500, spare battery, spare 8GB SD Card and spare screen protectors. It makes it just too wide to have the WB500 fit in my pants anymroe which I kindof dislike as I want to be able to bring the WB500 along during hot summer days without having to carry a seprate bag. So for now (during the winter here) my bag is sufficient as I can easily drop it in my jacket or coat, but I'm going to buy a smaller pouch sometime soon...

PalmBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:57 AM   #64

Hi,

I am seriously thinking about buying this camera and I'm enjoying the video and photo samples from the Samsung WB500

I was wondering what the battery life is like on the Samsung WB500? And what is the WB500 like at taking photos of the moon at night?

Is it true that there is a mic socket on the WB500 for plugging in an external microphone?

Please advise

Art
Artmuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 7:31 PM   #65

there is NO mic socket - at both sides arestereo mics, at the top is a speaker.

look this video - it's made with NV24, WB500 videos are similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwUosFxFYrY

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 7:52 PM   #66

Nice quality videos!! What is the battery life like?

Art
Old Mar 23, 2009, 7:09 AM   #67

I do not count hour & minutes - but it lasts long enough. No reason to buy a second battery.

It would be better, if it had mini USB for loading like other cameras. Even NV24 and WB500 have different loading plugs.

But thnx to normal USB at the other side you can use (with right cable) each 5V-USB-loading unit and 5V USB car loading unit.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:48 AM   #68

I have been very interesting in purchasing the hz10w since it was announced and now its become available recently in the US.My big question is HDMI connection. The announced (and soon to be on the market, hopefully) HZ15W (WB550) has direct HDMI connection port on the side of the camera. Does the HZ10W have an HDMI port on it or does it require a miniHDMI connection or caddle?

I have found some places mentioning it does have direct HDMI connection,but I can'tconfirm for sure. Anyone who owns the camera give me some insight?
pipcecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:24 AM   #69

WB550/HZ15 has mini-HDMI connection, WB500/HZ10 has 20-pin-USB only.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:31 AM   #70

The video quality on the Samsung WB500/HZ10W is excellent if viewing them through the camera's display but once I connect my camera to my TV or computer then the video quality isn't very good. The resolution looks very sharp and the panning and movement on the video looks rough and steppy.

I'm also disappointed that there is no manual focus on the video but I knew that anyway when buying the camera.

Other than that it still is a great little camera.

Art