Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:23 PM   #1

Default Samsung NV4 sd card in raw format

Help...!!!

My daughter has a NV4 with a 2 gb sd card and about 600 photos on it that can easily be viewed on the camera. When the usb cable is attached or the sd card is removed and inserted into the card reader no matter what I do I can't read it and the p.c. tells me that the card is in a RAW format and do I want to format it...?

If I take a 2nd sd card this also works fine on the camera but also is capable of being read via the usb or via the card reader...

I am totaly lost.... How do I get the photos of the 1st card which I can be seen on the camera but not on the p.c. ....???

Many thanks in advance
weebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2009, 6:57 AM   #2
Administrator

The problem may be your card reader. Some Secure Digital Readers are not compatible with SD Cards greater than 1GB in size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_..._1_GB_capacity
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 8:47 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply... the one that doesn't work is a 500mb card the one that does is a 4 gb card.

The camera can see both. The camera when connected via usb can only see the 4 gb and the card reader in the pc can only read the 4gb..

Tis driving us nuts...
Old Aug 13, 2009, 8:51 AM   #4
Administrator

I'd try to reformat them using this utility. You'll see a download link at the bottom of the page:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

Then, reformat them in the camera (using the camera's menu choice for format) before using them.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:44 AM   #5

Thanks for your help Jim but if I re-format the card I will lose all the photos that are on there already. As I say ther are a few hundred photos on the card but they can only be viewed when the card is in the camera or as I found out this weekend when I put the card into the card reader of my HP printer they appear in the printers viewing window but I can't get my any p.c to read the card so I can't download them...
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:51 AM   #6
Administrator

Try using Photorec to recover the images before using that kind of utility to format it. Usually a "quick format" using a PC only overwrites the FAT. But, that kind of utility may overwrite the data, too.

But, I'd avoid using the card reader in an HP printer. There is something very odd with them (as if a translation layer of some type is in between the OS and Reader). If nothing else, see if the camera will work as a reader when attached to your PC. If it has a transfer mode option in it's menus, set it to USB Mass Storage.

I'd suggest that you download and install this software for the operating system you're using (Windows, Mac, Linux). It's free. You'll see a download menu choice on the left side of the main page. Then, just click on the desired operating system to download it.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Use a card reader if possible (not the one in your printer, and make sure it's SDHC compatible for newer SD Cards) and select your memory card from the list of media it finds (hard drives, memory cards, etc.), and give it a place to save the photos to on your hard disk when you are asked Where to Save Recovered Files (it defaults to saving recovered files in subfolders under Photorec, where the software is installed on your hard drive, but you can change it to something else if desired). Note that this product does not retain the original file names (but, you may not care about that), since it ignores the file allocation table entirely.

Don't worry about changing any of the other options. Just leave everything else at the defaults (Partition type of Intel, file types to recover, etc.) and it will try to recover any files that haven't been overwritten yet (and don't try to do anything like take more photos or you may overwrite some of them).

Here's a page showing you how to use this software:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

There are some other free programs around that do a pretty good job in most cases, too. Here's one example, and it also has a nice Graphical User Interface. I usually prefer photorec. But, if you're not comfortable with a text based interface, you may want to try this one first instead.

http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/smar...htm?Language=1

After you recover your images (and make sure you can see the larger images, not just the thumbnails), I'd make sure you format the card again before using it, using the camera's menu choice for format. I'd probably use this utility first for a card with your symptoms, then reformat it using your camera's menu choice for format before using it again.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

I do that every time I reuse a card (format it again using the camera's menu choice for format). That way, the card always starts out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera expects it, since the camera is performing the format.