Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:23 PM   #1

Default wb550/hz-15 - focus issue

anyone else have issues with this cam having a had time focusing in low/ indoor light... many pics look good on the screen but get to comp to see they are out if focus.
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:44 PM   #2

nech-

Yep, the camera has a struggle focusing in low light. I think that I have a cure for it. I will let you know.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:00 AM   #3

How low light are we talking? If I am taking pictures inside my house in normal indoor lighting conditions, will this camera have trouble focusing?
Muley05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:48 PM   #4

muley-

We were discussing lighting conditions much lower than normal in home lighting. So you need not worry.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 23, 2010, 1:44 PM   #5

What is the fix that you may have discovered?
Muley05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:26 PM   #6

muley-

It uses an LCD flash light as a super focus assist lamp. It works every time in almost total darkness.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:05 PM   #7

Hmm I returned mine because of the low light focus issue... you are talking about the wb550 right?
How does it compare to the canon sx200... I am not so happy with the shot to shot time with the canon... seems to really struggle.
Let me know
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:19 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Nech,

may i suggest something for you.

it appears that you are pretty much unhappy with any digicam you try for various reasons. it may be that you are really just asking too much from a compact digital camera with small sensors, etc.

i think it may be time to reevaluate your expectations a bit. will you ever be satisfied with a small digicam? do you need to start thinking about making a larger investment into a compact dslr? or m4/3 type evil camera?

or may be you could get what you need from 2 digicams?

it just seems to me you are running in circles here, and at the current pace, you will not break free from this cycle. better to realize this now, than later, and waste less of your time and efforts.

best regards,
Dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 9:54 AM   #9

Dustin,
Thanks for the advice the issue is - my old Canon A40 was GREAT!! It was a 2 MP camera that gave me good pics... I figured ANYTHING newer would be better... I really didn't think I was so fussy.
On the A40 I missed not having a wide angle and more zoom...
I didn't expect to spend so much time on this and my husband is not even willing to talk to me about it.
A larger camera will be left at home... the canon sx200 and wb550 are about the biggest and heaviest I would go.. bigger will just get left at home and not come to the park, on walks etc.. with 3 kids under the age of 7 the bulk of a bigger camera is not practical, which is what initally attracted me to the fuji f70... the size... and what seemed the features..
but that was not for me
I will probably stick with the canon or give the samsung 1 more try... we will see.
Thanks again
Nech
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:01 PM   #10

Default found samsung with no low light focus issue

so I went to a store that had the wb550 in stock... and asked if I could open a package and try the camera as it seems that some have low light focus issue... the sales person told me with a smile that it is a known issue that they are aware of and supposedly it will be fixed with a firmware update that is not out yet. He let me open a box and play with the camera and it indeed does not have an issue focusing in low light.. so I think this is a winner.
I still have the canon sx200 I will shoot with them side by side and decide which one to keep and which to return. I think that the samsung is the keeper though.