Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:44 PM   #1
Banned

Default HZ35W/WB650 review

http://www.segadget.com/entry/538

The features look fantastic and well executed. I kept reading and thought his may be my next P&S pocket cam. Then I got down to the sample images ...

You can't tell too much from only 1 translated Asian review but the IQ results don't look promising. they do of course look better at lower resolutions but still not impressive down at 1920 x *.

SAM0161: I guess that's some blurring/DOF effect he used? I hope so. There are some watercolor effects on the car bumpers and generally throughout the image.

SAM_0222: The sky is completely blown out and there is PF along the buildings. You can see some obvious barrel distortion in the bottom left corner.

SAM_0239: Take your pick of any plant. All of the detail is gone.

SAM_0229: Watercolor effect along the molding and noisy as heck overall.

generally they look decent at 50% size but the above still applies. I'm hoping the reviewer is just inexperienced as once again, the features look great.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:04 PM   #2

acheron-

When you also consider that seagadget is a Samsung sponsored website. those results are even more telling. Thanks for the link

I am still convinced that the Sony HX5 is the best way to go.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:27 PM   #3

compared to the 650, there is no question Sarah, the WB2000 might be a different story
Samsung also offers on their blog websites everybody who blogs for them a free camera. (if they accept your application)
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:24 AM   #4

I checked out a couple of reviews, yes this looks good value and an awesome camera.
Even i choose the between these two i definitely go with the HZ35W is best as compare to the other.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:55 AM   #5

rochardgems-

Unfortunately, multiple user reviews have not been very good for the HZ35W. The specifications do not seem to translate to everyday features.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 6:00 AM   #6

WB650 seems to be a nice camera since there is an article about WB650 which has won the Gold Award with Casio Exilim FH100 on the Compact ‘Travel Zooms’ Cameras category provided by DPReview
Here is the link to the article http://www.samsungimaging.net/wb650h...f-travel-zoom/
pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:24 PM   #7

The WB650 has very good aspects to its image quality if you can ignore the slightly less good pixel level detail/noise at base ISO than a few others (although it catches up with some at higher ISO). It has a remarkably consistent AWB and colours in any lighting unlike Sony and Panasonic etc, the lens is a mark above all others in the small long zoom pocket camera section, with low PF and flare unlike Panasonic, and no horrible nasties at the edge of the frame unlike Sony and Canon.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 3:04 PM   #8

I bought a WB650 the other day. I know its weaknesses, like low ISO noise processing not being the best, but it has strengths as well.....

Price.

Fast AF in all light levels, the assist light is really good.

Colours always close to reality as mentioned before.

The GPS locks on in under a minute here in UK. I haven't tried maps, probably won't ever bother as I can't see the point.

Screen is viewable in bright sunlight, not great but it's usable unlike most. Normal reviewing is a pleasant experience.

All the reviews are in Auto mode, P mode seems to give better IQ results, still playing with this.

Non-Samsung batteries are cheap and work. (Unlike Panasonic TZ10/ZS7)

It's well made.

Starts up really quick for a long zoom cam. Shot to shot times seem to vary, not sure what's going on yet. Sometimes it says '...Processing' for a second, other times it's ready straight away.

The lens is very good, no complaints here.

Metering is very consistent.

The various flash modes work properly, and flash has a decent power.

Auto ISO actually uses ISOs that I would have chosen anyway, so I use it all the time.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 7:38 PM   #9

I must have different eyes to Acheron, I've ordered a HZ30W due in a large part to those photos. If it can do as well as those for the price then I consider it a bit of a bargain.
jim8 is offline   Reply With Quote