Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:20 AM   #1

Default Just purchased the HZ30 AKA WB600

Several months ago I purchased the Panasonic FZ35 superzoom as it was regarded as a top model in its category. While it was capable of taking good photos, I had a few issues with it. One, it never felt comfortable in my hand, two the build quality seemed..."cheezy" and three, it was larger in size than I wanted therefore, would stay at home on my desk more than it would be with me while out and about. I decided to sell it and find a traditional sized point and shoot with decent optical zoom.

I wanted something at least 12x optical and 3" lcd but it had to fit in a small pouch that I could attach to my belt clip. Brands I focused on were Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji and Samsung. All provided some good aspects. The Nikon S8100 was the front runner until I found a reputable vendor offering the Samsung HZ30 for $189 shipped. I found this model locally at a retail store and did some testing. Initial experiments were positive so I decided to give it a try so I placed my order online.

Now that I've had the Samsung HZ30 for a few days I can comment on some likes and dislikes.

The camera seems very well built. Assembly looks great and it feels substantial while not being too big. All buttons actuate nicely and overall operation seems on par with the big boys. Speed is decent on start-up, shot to shot and flash recharge time. No complaints there. The camera focuses well for the most part. I did ride a bicycle this past weekend and while riding I tried to take picture of my daughter behind me and some of those were blurry but I was pedaling while pointing the camera behind me so I was less than steady. Indoor photos with flash were good. The flash is strong and will light up a room more evenly than you'd think. Without flash, setting the iso higher yielded decent results but things get typical "point and shoot" noisy. No worse than most Non-dslr cameras but certainly no better. The HZ30 has lots of gizmo features but one that actually works better than expected was smile detection. Simply select this option and point the camera at a subject and as soon as they smile.....It takes the shot....It actually works!! Face detection and face recognition work fairly well in well lit rooms.

Overall image quality is good. Video quality is good but the video audio is my biggest gripe. The mic is so sensative that it pics up every bit of breeze, zoom motor noise or sound the photographer makes. There are settings to select audio off, audio off while zooming or on all the time. Just think this could have been improved some.

To get a good quality camera with 15x optical zoom, 12.2 megapixel sensor with a host of automatic selections that also have Aperture and Shutter priority in addition to full Manual control for $189 shipped is a great value. This camera is large enough to feel decent in my hand yet small enough to bring along anywhere I go. I'm looking forward to experimenting with this Samsung and seeing what kind of photographs I can produce.

The below image was among the first in my tests while experimenting with Shutter priority with an 8 second exposure with camera sitting on a chair arm.

Craig
Attached Images

Craigmri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:32 AM   #2

A couple more examples with no flash.

Craig
Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2010, 7:24 PM   #3

Thanks for posting these Craig, I ordered one myself a few days ago with your first shot helping the decision. I also have a FZ28 Panasonic which is an excellent camera but not one you take with you at all times.
I hope mine will work as well as yours but I sure do get some mixed messages in reviews and curiosity as much as anything made me grab what appears to be a bargain, to be honest I'm sensing some bias in reviews but I suppose that's normal.
jim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:07 AM   #4

Looking good...!
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 5:31 AM   #5

Jim,

Looking forward to your impressions once you get some time to experiment with your HZ30.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim8 View Post
Thanks for posting these Craig, I ordered one myself a few days ago with your first shot helping the decision. I also have a FZ28 Panasonic which is an excellent camera but not one you take with you at all times.
I hope mine will work as well as yours but I sure do get some mixed messages in reviews and curiosity as much as anything made me grab what appears to be a bargain, to be honest I'm sensing some bias in reviews but I suppose that's normal.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:02 PM   #6

It arrived today, I think it's very well suited to its purpose, that of a travel zoom. I've run a few quick snaps straight away and they do have a nice sharp colourful look to them. Thus far I notice high iso is not very good but that's to be expected since you trade off sensor size for affordable lenses and size.
I'm inclined to think the 'normal' jpeg setting is no worse than the 'fine' or 'super fine' settings, and shall probably use it though I don't really have any need to save space.

Anyway I may as well attach one of my first happy snaps.
jim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:22 PM   #7

The HW30Z is look good. Unfortunately, it looks like anything at an ISO setting of 400 and above shows a decreased IQ.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:32 AM   #8

Hello,

please excuse my bad english, Im being no native speaker.

I use the WB600 for a month and Im very satisfied with this camera. You get a lot for your money.

But some shortcomings are noticeable. As allready mentioned ISO400 ist the last setting with good IQ, all higher values generates a lot of noise (grain?). Even at ISO80 the grain ist strong, compared to other similar cameras.

Nevertheless, the lense ist very good, very low distorsion and softness at the edges. Indoor pictures have very natural colours and lighting. Outdoor pictures are very good, stabilisation works great.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here is a link to a gallery with example pictures I shot in the last weeks.

http://www.abload.de/gallery.php?key=hc49UMiE

Regards

Abbuzze
Abbuzze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:27 PM   #9

Abbuzze

I purchased the WB600/HZ30, but returned it as it was too noisy for my taste.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote