Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old Jun 2, 2005, 5:21 PM   #1

I have a V4 and found it a very good camera until i tried to upload some photos onto my new laptop. I installed all the relevant drivers onto the copmputer and plugged the camera in.
When i tried to access the photos, the computer gave a message saying that the card was not formatted, i thought this was odd so tried uploading the photos onto the home pc, which runs windows XP, SP2, the same as the laptop, and it read the files fine.
i therefore tried formatting the card on this pc and discovered that the camera then gave a card error message so i formatted the card using the camera and it stored the photos fine. i tried using the usb cable and the inbuilt card reader on my laptop but this produced the same problem.
i then tried another card and this also acted in the same way as the first, so i'm guessing that the problem is software related but i do not know what it is!!
Any help would be much appreciated!
whocarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:53 PM   #2
Administrator

whocarez wrote:
Quote:
I have a V4 and found it a very good camera until i tried to upload some photos onto my new laptop. I installed all the relevant drivers onto the copmputer and plugged the camera in.
When i tried to access the photos, the computer gave a message saying that the card was not formatted, i thought this was odd so tried uploading the photos onto the home pc, which runs windows XP, SP2, the same as the laptop, and it read the files fine.
i therefore tried formatting the card on this pc and discovered that the camera then gave a card error message so i formatted the card using the camera and it stored the photos fine. i tried using the usb cable and the inbuilt card reader on my laptop but this produced the same problem.
i then tried another card and this also acted in the same way as the first, so i'm guessing that the problem is software related but i do not know what it is!!
Any help would be much appreciated!
By default, Windows uses a 32bit FAT when formatting which is NOT compatible with most cameras. I'd suggest sticking to using the camera menus for formatting a card, unless the camera can't format one (then, if you must use a PC for formatting, make SURE you select FAT as the File System Type). I'd also recommending formatting again with the camera menus before using a card if you ever do need to format one with a PC.

As for your problem with the laptop seeing the card, it could be any number of things. It's more likely related to the USB drivers.Many users report intermittent problems with USB connectivity after upgrading to SP2.

A frequent solution that sometimes works is removing all devices drivers related to USB (My Computer, Properties,Hardware, Device Manager). Then, rebooting and letting Windows find and reinstall the drivers again. Sometimes, updating these drivers can work, too.

You may also be seeing a conflict between other USB devices and drivers. For example, sometimes HP Printer Monitor software conflicts with USB connectivity to other devices.

You may also want to try a different USB Port.

If all else fails, consider a Card Reader (they're very inexpensive now -- you can probably pick up a USB 2.0 card reader for around $20.00 locally). With a laptop, you may also want to consider a PCMCIA based reader.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 5:50 PM   #3

i tried what you advised but this did not work. i already have a card reader in the laptop, and th eproblem is not that the computer cannot "see" the card, it is that it tells me that it is not formatted, although it is. i also tried formatting the card using the computer, but a dialog box appears telling me that the card cannot be formatted. this happened with 2 different cards.
whocarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 4:21 PM   #4
Administrator

I see nobody else has suggested anything.

I'd suggest contacting Samsung to see if they know what you could try as far as camera connectivity is concerned.

If the cards work fine in one PC running XP, but can't be read or formattedin your laptop running the same operating system (from either the camera ora card reader), then it sounds like a problem with your laptop to me.

Are you sure you're not running anything else that may be conflicting with reads and writes to external media? How about Security Releated Software (Norton, etc.)? USB Attached Printers?

You may want to try unplugging everything else from your USB ports, reboot and see if it can read and write to the cards then.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote