Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:04 AM   #1

I had this camera for all of one day before I brought it back. Since I could find virtually no information about it online I thought I would post a few comments here.

I got it at Sam's Club for $252, this represents a great value as the kit is very complete. It came with:
Camera
Case
Strap
32 MB SD Card
Battery
Charger
Cradle (both for charging and USB transfer)
USB cables both for camera and cradle
A/V cable for cradle (but not for the camera)
Charging cable which works with both the cradle and camera
Software
Manual

Ultimately I returned the camera even though I thought it represented a good value. I got it primarily because it features a MPEG-4 movie mode at 640 x 480 at 30fps. While movies were fluid I found them to be terribly blocky. Whether shooting a relatively static subject or one in motion this was the case. Also movie quality indoors was significantly worse than in natural light. Finally the camera touts a movie stabilizer function which I could not see any difference when activated except for that it reduced movie quality by quite a bit, so I left it off permanently.

Still photo quality was just OK. I have a 1.3 megapixel Fuji MX-1200 which has a fixed focus lens and I thought that the Samsung did not offer me a major improvement.

I really wanted to get a Casio EX-Z750 but chose this as it seemed to offer some of the same features I was looking for at a $150 less. I should have saved up a few more bucks.
So in summary:

What I really liked about the camera was the following:

-MPEG-4 movie mode (though this turned out to be the main dissapointment)
-The interface is awesome with clear menus.

-The LCD was not bad at all and it was somewhat visible in sunlight, but it better be-there is no viewfinder!

-The camera is small! Even in the supplied case (which is very nice quality) it would slip easily in any pocket.

-There is cool blue lighting behind the buttons on the camera.

What I did not like about the camera was the following:

-Just OK still photo quality.

-Terribly dissapointing movie quality, like fimling a lego factory.

-Proprietary battery which took 2 1/2 hours to charge, would prefer AA.

-The camera did not interface on the supplied cradle well, it was a chore to put on and off. (probably unique to my camera/cradle)

-Once the battery was inserted it was brutally difficult to reopen it (again probably unique to my camera)

-I do not like having to open the battery compartment to insert and remoev SD cards. I would prefer a dedicated compartment such as my 5 year old $99 Fuji has.

-I do not profess to know about timing shutter lag or other benchmarks, but to me it seemed like eternity waiting for the photo to record after pressing the shutter release.

-Also The power on button is not responsive, you have to hold it in for a good second before there is any response. It sounds like nothing but when I press the button I want the camera to turn on!

-Finally for some unexplainable reason my camera would not allow me to set the quality to the maximum level even though the SD card was empty and freshly formatted. The manual indicated I could fit 11 images on the card at this resolution and quality setting. I know the card and camera were fine as I set the camera in this mode the first time I tried it, but every time after it would reset itself to a much lower resolution-odd.

In closing I cannot recommend this camera, there are just too many other awesome cameras out there in this price range. If you absolutely must have the MPEG-4 movie mode at 640 x 480 at 30 fps in this price range I would look at the Olympus C770 movie. This camera appears to be in a different league and now that it has been on the market for quite some time can be had for less than $300. I know I will be ordering it soon.

docprego
docprego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:19 PM   #2

docprego wrote:
Quote:
In closing I cannot recommend this camera, there are just too many other awesome cameras out there in this price range. If you absolutely must have the MPEG-4 movie mode at 640 x 480 at 30 fps in this price range I would look at the Olympus C770 movie. This camera appears to be in a different league and now that it has been on the market for quite some time can be had for less than $300. I know I will be ordering it soon.

docprego
What are you have expected from MPEG4 movie mode ( MiniDV quality )? Even 5000kbit/s in CASIO is not enought
TRUEMOTION is offline   Reply With Quote